Trying to move on...

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

BlueWeepingRose

Trying to move on...

Post by BlueWeepingRose »

I find it extremely hard to move on past the abuse that my old boyfriend put me through. I seriously loved him and he meant everything to me. He was always disappearing on me and coming back to me and I forgave him each time because I loved him and other times I did because my self esteem was so low that I thought that I didn't deserve any better. He put me down a lot, yelled at me a lot, called me names, manipulated me, gas lighted me and touched me sexually inappropriately several times. Anytime I spoke up and stood up for myself, he would blow up or tell me that I was over reacting. I'd cry at my house for hours and I felt alone, miserable and unhappy.

Even my family took note of my behavior and was worried for me. Each time they told me their thoughts about it, I stood up for him. Believe I was embarrassed as to what was going on and I honestly thought I was crazy and the things he told me I was. Told his family that I was crazy and I truly believe this by the way they acted towards me and their attitude spoke very clearly. He always was the victim and I was always the "crazy" one. For years I never spoke about this because I feared what people would say or think of me.

There's still days where I miss him at times but I think I'm just remembering the good times we had together. He's cheated on me and accused me of cheating on him several times. He got very jealous if I spoke to any men or even females for that matter cause he feared that I'd leave him and find somebody else. Anytime I tried to get away... he eventually would come back and apologize and tell me how he changed. When he said those words, I was hoping that those words were true because I kept thinking of when I met him and how much he loved me.

Anytime it didn't work out with someone, he would always come back to me. I started picking up on this and finally I decide to vanish on him without a trace. When I did this, I flew up to see a friend of mine and had a great time. However when I did visit my friend, I was crying in the middle of the night and feel horrible. It didn't take him long to find somebody else after I broke up with him. Within a few weeks he found a new girlfriend and told her a bunch of lies about me and how "crazy" I am. After she ended up leaving him because she was sick of his controlling ways, he tried coming back to me. Believe he came back to see if he could get away with the same things again. Right now I'm working on my healing progress because I've been a victim of abuse before but I'll get to that later in another thread and I believe this is why I became attracted to this abusive guy. My mother once loved an abusive man and now I want to break this cycle from forming again and again in the future. Hope nobody here thinks I'm crazy or anything. There's still times where I doubt myself and cry. Believe I do this is because he's gas lighted me so many times. Just wanted to share my story on here because I'm feeling very sad today and needed to finally get it out. :cry: He's also made fun of me for having a learning disability and that broke me.... I ended up thinking I was stupid. Now I still have a hard time trusting people and opening up because I fear I'll be abused again. Hopefully in time I will heal and move on from this.
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to move on...

Post by Harmony »

Dear blueweepingrose,

Remember he was calling you "crazy"? That is very rude and uncalled for. Abuse is an injury not a sign of madness or crazy. Would you call someone with a broken arm crazy? Well someone(s) broke your heart and psyche as a child. Remember that. It is up to you to reclaim your wellbeing. You can do this. It sounds like you are on your way.

Keep in touch. You can write more anytime. You are believed here. You are important here.

with care,
Harmony
1000miles

Post by 1000miles »

Hi blueweepingrose,

Sad to hear all your old boyfriend put you through. I can relate to being hurt as an adult by the mean things people do and say because I'm still apt to blame myself. Working on it.

When someone is mean, disrespectful, hurtful, those are their problems, not yours--their fault, not yours. When someone verbally attacks you, that's not an honest appraisal of anything. You are well within your rights to treat it as 100% rubbish and utterly disregard it.

1000miles
ALightIsOnNow

Post by ALightIsOnNow »

Hi BlueWeepingRose,

I'm sorry to hear of the abuse you endured. You do have worth and value, even if that guy treated you like dirt and belittled you a lot. It took a lot of courage to post what you did. Great job with that! People want to help you here, and will listen to you and support you. You are not crazy. It sounds like your family was trying to help you when they saw your mood changing, etc. That is good to know. Maybe you can lean on them a little more during this time. I'll be praying for you. As you get stronger, the memories of the :cry: during the night will be just that, a memory.
ALightIsOnNow (or Lion for short)