New here... my story

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

neontigress

New here... my story

Post by neontigress »

Aloha all, I'm new here and happy to have found a place to share my story and hopefully get some support.

Some of my earliest memories of my mother are her abusing me physically, verbally, emotionally. Most of the really bad stuff happened before I turned 4. There was a time of calm when we lived with my grandparents between ages of 4-8. Between 8-12 really bad stuff happened at the hand of both of my parents. Though I was a kid who got good grades, had a job, did what I was told (apposed to my younger brother) I have been the family scapegoat. My brother the golden child barley graduated, got into physical fights (even with teachers at school), never did anything around the house, etc.

I recently visited my mother and stayed with her in her home; the one I grew up in. It triggered so many things for me. We are both older now... I'm 53 and she is 73. She would like to sit next to be and put her hand on my leg or such. I can barley tolerate it. Everything in me recoils at her touch. She doesn't understand why I was so close with my grandmother and let her touch me but I am not with her.

My earliest memories of my mother is her digging her long sharp nails into the flesh of my forearm until I bled. She would do this while we were in grocery stores to make me behave. I remember standing and looking at the other kids and wondering why their parents treated them so much better. Somehow that ended and she started beating me with a wooden spoon. She carried it in her purse and beat me so hard she broke it. That is when she started carrying a pink plastic hair brush and using that to beat me.

When I was 3 she became pregnant with my brother. From the 1st moment she knew she kept telling me to not hurt the baby. I had no intention to hurt the baby. I didn't even know why I would want to hurt the baby.

It was during this time that she started to babysit a girl my age. The girl wet the bed yet my mother put her in my bed everyday and let this girl wet my bed. She changed the sheets everyday too. She would not listen when I told her I didn't like it. The girl and I would get into it as it made me angry. She and I would bite each other; often on the face. My mom was really only concerned about the girl and how she looked as an adult who allowed this. She was just mad at me.

My earliest memories are going to my grandmother for comfort from this mother of mine. My grandmother and I were super close and she often sat be on her lap or next to her and petted my arm for hours. She never hurt me. She taught me to read, write and do math before the age of 4. She took me on nature hikes and taught me the names of the wildflowers. I could never understand why my grandmother thought I was so wonderful while my mother seemed to hate me.

As an adult I have asked my mother why she made me bleed and she told me it was "because I was the worst child ever." She told me that "I put my nails into her too." She tells me that she is and was fully justified in her behavior. She doesn't remember the pink plastic hair brush and carrying it with her to beat me.

Now she wants to touch me and complains that I don't like physical affection from her. I do not know how to change this. The frightened child in me recoils in horror. It sets off panic attacks that don't go away for days. I was on a lot of anti-anxiety Rx for years and have gotten myself off all of it and have been clear for years. I don't want to go back to that. I would like to have a normal, healthy relationship with her but often I find I am just managing the situation. I can never fully relax around her. I'm not sure there is an answer to all of this. Therapists tell me that I am very strong to have come from such a family and be so successful. But I don't feel I get much out of that. I would prefer ways to help me cope, heal, trust. I don't want drugs and that seems to be the answer they give.

There is a whole lot more to my story but this is my issue today. I have found unpacking all the abuse at one time is too much for me. I'm hoping to deal with one at a time with the help of folks here who have gone through similar abuse. Thank you for reading and any advise :)
Last edited by ajei on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from ST to MT
1000miles

Re: New here... my story

Post by 1000miles »

Hi neontigress,

Welcome. So sorry to hear what you were put through as a child. I can relate to still being blamed by parents. My mother still says she had to do what she did because we were such bad kids. I think it's totally understandable that you would not want to be touched by your mother. I don't think you're obligated to change that.

Best wishes for peace and healing.

1000miles
neontigress

Post by neontigress »

Thank you 1000miles for your kind words. Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy trying to balance what I know to be true with what I am told. I guess I'm still trying to be the "good girl" with my mom.
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
1000miles

Post by 1000miles »

Hi neontigress,

The situation with me and my mom is difficult too--strange and so complicated. I have to assert my right to be respected as an adult person. Interactions can degrade into childhood patterns. She can still be inappropriate and verbally abusive. But then our relationship has been unhealthy for most of my adult life on top of childhood. We've never had good boundaries, so it's tough to start asserting limits now. I think it feels strange and hostile to her. I care about my mom. I think we both want some kind of a relationship that works, if possible.

Anyway, that's my story. Wishing you clarity for your situation.

1000miles
neontigress

Post by neontigress »

1000miles I can so relate! My mom tries hard to continue to be the "adult" and keep me the "child". She is often inappropriate and verbally/ emotional abuse are her go to's. I feel as though I have established and re-established my boundaries but she continues to push at them and even throw a rock every now and then. And when this happens of course I am at fault/ wrong/ bad/ etc. It's hard to want to continue but you are right I do want some kind of relationship that works and doesn't breakdown when least expected. I have cut off everyone but her from my family of origin. My father was just too over the top to be able to make that work and not loose me while doing so. I haven't spoken to him since I was 17. My grandparents were my parents as far as I am concerned. My mom seems to be a much older sister that was always jealous and mean. I feel like I have clarity but I have no idea what to do with it when she is shifting sand. How does one heal when in a toxic relationship with their abuser? If this was a romantic relationship everyone would tell me to leave and never look back. You are right this is strange and complicated... and tiring. It feels like I'm swimming in quicksand.
Last edited by Serenity on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
1000miles

Post by 1000miles »

Sounds very similar to me and my mom. We're still trying to find a way to make it work. I try to have firm limits and stick to them. Sometimes she catches me off guard, bates me into an argument, and I'm back to being attacked and getting defensive again. Trying to learn to recognize that sooner so I can prevent it on my side--just refuse to go down those paths. I've seen people very good at maintaining boundaries even when the other person keeps trying to violate them. Seems like it ought to be possible with me and my mom. Hoping we can get to better habits or patterns of communication in time.

1000miles