Tired of not being on my own side

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

earthhorse

Tired of not being on my own side

Post by earthhorse »

Okay so I've been dancing around this forum. And I need to be here right now but am finding it tough to find my voice. Good sign that I'm on to something I guess... hope you can bear with me.

It feels stale now, to say I was bullied a lot in school. I was bullied at home too. And I bullied like I was taught to bully. :(

I'm still in a place where fear gets the better of me most of the time. And I am tired of this sinking feeling that shuts me down, that takes my will, that smashes my dreams and hopes before they get a chance to feel the sun.

Growing up, the double standards were pretty harsh. Even though my brothers experienced a lot of abuse too, there were very strict and very clear gender divisions in reward and chores. Girls were worth less in every single thing. My mother told my sister and I on a number of occasions that she wished she never had us, and how girls are nothing but trouble, a burden extra. There are a lot of shocking things about my past, but some of the stuff that shocks me now is how in the most mundane ways we, (my sister and I), were told we were worth less. Like the room we slept in as girls not being heated. Not having our own beds. Not being bought new clothes. And when I became a teenager not being bought clothes at all. Not even bras or new knickers for my growing body. (I had to steal what I needed :( ) And as soon as I could legally work I had to pay for my own things. And this is for all intents and purposes inside a middle class family. The money was there, it just wasn't for us as girls. The situation was the opposite for my brothers. Their basic needs, and investment in their development, were always taken care of, and prioritized before our needs.

We were always told how lucky we were, and how we were ungrateful brats. My father would also say confusing things like you are the apple of my eye my favorite. And it would translate into petty 'rewards' like the tastiest chocolate bar on a Sunday, or him not beating me like the other kids, or a trip with him alone with 'treats'. That of course was insidious... But bottom line was there was no real investment in us and we were told constantly that we didn't deserve it. No investment and no say. If we spoke up we were humiliated and scoffed at for our ingratitude.

The reward was never equal to the labor either. Its too cruel to think about he silencing and the torture and the kind of emotional labor expected of a child who lives with constant specter of life threatening abuse. But the other labor too. The household chores and child care. Never having any extra curricular activities. No one to help me with my home work. Just my angry mother who saw me as destroying her life, and at the same time as an extension of herself who should fulfill her role as caregiver and simultaneously live out the unfulfilled dreams she had for herself. It shocks me to think that in the professions I have 'chosen' are the ones my mother most dearly wanted for herself. (!!!) It leads to conflict, am I doing this for me? Is there a me? Sometimes I literally feel her still to this day take over my body, my voice isn't mine, my hands, my face they are hers. Its hard to un-twine my accomplishments, to own them. To beat the feeling its all a lie and to stop feeling like success is the death of the last vestige of myself.

What I held onto as a child was the fact that my extended family liked me, and liked me more than my mother. That I could fit in with them was my defiance of her. It was also what brought me closer to my very f'ing dangerous father and his very dangerous, religious and deeply conservative family. I thought his family loved me. I would get away at any chance to spend time in their houses. Doing everything I could to be pleasing and polite. But this all caved in. It's a long story and many stories. But long story short. It turned out in the end they didn't love me. That it was totally conditional. When we immigrated when I was just about to turn 11, they never wrote or stayed in contact... When the abuse memories started to come up, many of the first ones had to do with my most precious person, my grandmother, my Nana, helping my fathers family to cover up abuse. Taking me to hospital and covering the tracks of the maiming and grievous sexual abuse of my infant self. When my Nana died, when I was 12, she left me nothing. Not even a word. The sense of shame was acute. Abandonment?

Its so hard to feel for the part of me that was tortured physically and sexually because of this shame of not being worth anything. I feel I have after 13 years of dealing these memories and desperately struggling for some form of self acceptance , that I am in better place in terms of a sense of control. That I've reached a next level. That the work isn't in just dealing with flooding and the sense that I am completely crazy, being terrified etc. anymore. Even though I know there's more the time for that is not now. I'm free now to deal with the basic self building stuff.

I took to lying about my reality and really believing it when I did as a kid. I would tell stories about my wonderful life, the great stuff I had, and my amazing accomplishments. I did it unconsciously. impulsively without being aware - compulsive lying, compulsive liar. This greatly reinforced my sense of shame, unworthiness and inadequacy. (It did my head in when the abuse memories emerged, feeling like a I was inherently a liar and it just couldn't be true). My mother knew about it and she would taunt me constantly. If I ever did achieve something she'd bring it up, as if to say, so you might have done this but you're still just a fake and a loser. O no matter how hard you try you won't ever make it. This was a familiar refrain.

Yikes I realize I have more to say. Want to tell/try to resolve something. But its just too much for now. Thanks for listening.

Love,
EH
Last edited by Serenity on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed ST to MT
"One kind word can warm three winter months"
Serenity
Director
Director

Re: Tired of not being on my own side

Post by Serenity »

Hi earthhorse,

I hear you. Here listening when/if you want to say more.

Serenity
Jitterbug

Post by Jitterbug »

((((((((((((((( earthhorse ))))))))))))))

So good to hear your voice.

Here listening, with much sadness for all that you suffered, but much admiring of your courage and strength and ability to write with such clarity and awareness.

Share as you need,

Jitterbug
recover

Post by recover »

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((earthhorse))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
reisha

Post by reisha »

~~~***{{{EARTHHORSE!!!}}}***~~~

so good to see yer words, yer voice. & so sorry to know what ya've been thru.
i can relate to alot of it.
not many more words, but here, listening, & supporting.
Last edited by Jonesy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
jocque

Post by jocque »

Hi earthhorse, I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you. I feel like I have to respond because I see so much of myself in what you wrote. I struggled (and am still struggling, though to a much lesser degree) with compulsive lying, even so far to the point that I actually believe it. I think it's because I feel like I need to practice my ability to ignore reality so as to continue consciously repressing my childhood and early teens.
I dont know if this is appropriate, and if it isnt i am so sorry, but if you feel comfortable discussing it, would you mind discussing how you came to let yourself see your childhood for what it was?
earthhorse

Post by earthhorse »

Dear Serenity, Jitterbug, recover, Reisha and Jacque,

Thanks for reading all that and staying with me. Being warm to me and so understanding.

Love,
Eh
earthhorse

Post by earthhorse »

Hi Jacque,

I am so sorry you have suffered like this too.

Yeah I think there was a high chance considering my own survival mechanisms that I would remain trapped in childhood patterns.

I think I see the lying now much more compassionately. I have to accept myself and why I developed the 'skills' I did in order to do the real healing. I can also see how it helped me survive and even escape the situation I was in. Fantasy. Fantastic stories kept me going. Woed other people into helping me, got me work even, opened doors. The irony was I always just wanted to be good. Honesty and integrity were, and are, so important to me. It mortified me that I lied like I did. I felt like I was betraying myself, that I couldn't trust myself. I still sometimes lie when I am very insecure to cover things up. I hate, have hated myself for it, for a very , very long time. It reinforces the feeling that I am worthless. That nothing I do can make up for the reality of my fundamentally flawed and weak self. I was shamed by my mother and family for this behavior, they would taunt and humiliate me. Yet the weird thing was, when I look back, my mother and my father behaved in exactly the same way. I learned it from them.

I won't lie to you now, it has not been easy or quick to deal with, or see, my childhood for what it was. I have had to break out and break free from my family at several points. The first step was when I left home at 16. And then when I tried to kill myself at 16 after my parents brought me back home. This act/ desperate cry for help changed my life radically. I took time out of school and went to art school to have time to 'recover' , expressing myself and painting all the time was healing and affirming. The people I met there were of all ages and were very humble and close to what's really important in life. Ending up in hospital after I tried to kill myself also meant I got outside support for the first time - therapy and other people witnessing the dynamic I was living in helped. They spoke to my parents and it meant my mother got off my back for a little while, her daily tantrums and abuse subsided. My father after first pointing out that I was a disgrace to the family also took some time to show a bit more support. In a sick way, but you know it helped. (My parents don't care what happens to me, just what others think of them... so having these winesses approach them helped) I was diagnosed with major depression but luckily I was not medicated, this was because my condition was in the words of the psychiatrist I was seeing, 'clearly environmental', he encouraged me to write. But for some years after I was always in contact with my family and this meant I was never 'safe'. I wasn't safe, as long as I saw how they treated me as 'love', I could not protect myself. A lot of bad things kept happening, I was in a cycle of abuse and crisis for the first 25 years of my life this didn't end until I broke contact with my family for good.

The big opportunity for me was leaving my family when I went overseas. Once I was stable in a place far away from them, the flashbacks/memories of CSA started to come. After 1 and 1/2 years of flooding, I broke off with my family for good. I had never for instance been able to get angry at my father and had been a kind of 'slave' or 'service' worker for the family and their needs. They treated me with neglect that is astounding. Yet it cost me dearly to break contact. I lost over 40 first cousins, 32 aunts and uncles, my large extended family on both sides, my brothers and my sister, my grand parents. My roots. But gained freedom from the cycle of abuse. And a chance to heal and make a better life, form better relationships. My current relationship with my partner is founded on his being there and not leaving me as I dealt with the truth about childhood. We have a wonderful, rounded, healthy relationship now. Breaking contact has given me the space I have needed to deal with the abuse and build a future for myself.

I am now 13 years later after breaking contact. And have been hiding from my family, and in therapy the whole time. I decided to match healing with a higher degree because I knew I wouldn't be able to be independent financially at times when I would be flooding or severely depressed. Knowing that there were others who went before me really helped me to be strategic and to find the support my healing - other survivors, the rape crisis center were vital. (It really helped not to have other people yelling at me about how I didn't deserve support etc. I can't tell you how much space and energy came into my life without constant put downs of my family) In certain countries higher education institutions support students to continue despite disability, I was lucky enough to have the right nationality and to gain access to such a university. I needed to have something worth believing in and working for that wasn't just about healing form abuse. I needed a lot of support to continue with my studies. Though I have achieved a lot too in this time and am surprised now to realize that I am considered employable and have real opportunities available to me. I believe it was a good decision even if it was stressful to balance healing and demands for deadlines etc. It has also allowed me to deal with my demons around success and worthiness. I am now graduating. And I feel like I am graduating with healing too. Its a new phase.

I don't know if this helps Jacque. In any case following my heart and taking some (informed) risks and investing in myself really helped. Intuition has guided me and rescued me time an time again.

Love,
EH
Jitterbug

Post by Jitterbug »

Wow! I am so impressed by what you are achieving with your understanding and processing of your experiences and in your life alongside.

((((((((((((((((((( earthhorse ))))))))))))))

In awe. :)

Jitterbug