Does it sometimes feel like you are not moving forward

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

sharlott

Does it sometimes feel like you are not moving forward

Post by sharlott »

Hi everyone,

I have one particular issue which I feel I have been working on for years in my therapy. Namely I am afraid of abandonment and I am chasing unavailable guys. One is the core issue and the other one is one of the symptoms. I keep working with therapist and then again I see the same old patterns in my life. It sometimes feels like I am banging my head against the same wall hoping for different results. I am sometimes so tired and feel that my life is not moving anywhere. It is constantly same old, same old.....

I stay in my relationship which is not moving forward and I see that it is not moving forward. However, I keep hoping for the different results. Even if I start liking someone else, they are committed as well. I am so frustrated about my own behavior!

Has anyone here successfully conqured their abandonment fear and reliance to unavailable partners? What to do when you see yourself playing the same patterns year after year?
recover

Re: Does it sometimes feel like you are not moving forward

Post by recover »

hi sharlott,
i understand. i struggle so much with similar concerns, trying not to feel discouraged and hopeless.
offering support.
recover
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
there

Post by there »

I know that I have chosen some very unavailable men to start a relationship with. I'm not sure that I do that because of abandonment issues. But I do know that choosing unavailable men is the way to ensure that I don't have a relationship.

I don't have a real resolution to making bad choices of guys to make a relationship with. I just stay out of relationships. Just working on myself for now. I hope to someday try again, and make better choices.

I do understand and send my support to you, sharlott.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
reisha

Post by reisha »

hi sharlott

good topic/thread!
i relate to what ya wrote.
not many words now (am thinkin bout it tho)

sending support & caring
Last edited by ajei on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from MT to NT
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

sharlott,

I too struggle with fear of abandonment issues so not sure how to break free myself. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone!

Sheep