Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Letting go

Post by honeybera »

Fleur wrote:Hello Honeybera

Wow!
You've managed a lot in the last few weeks

Congratulations

Thank you for sharing your update
I have managed to do a lot.....and thank you! :mrgreen:

Today I have done a very good thing and a very tedious chore: I've sorted through these little 2"x5" cardboard backs of all of my day passes that I wrote my thoughts and grocery lists and chores-to-do on. There were thousands and thousands of these, all stuffed in a small box. I turned on American Ninja Warrior (I'm a BIG fan!) and began to sort them out. Most went into the trash; a few had reminders and/or phone numbers or addresses, that sort of thing, and some of those I kept. It wasn't a heavy lifting job or anything, just horribly time consuming! But I am done!!!! They're in the trash in the hallway, and they'll be gone-gone on Thursday when the trash goes out. Most of these were from around 2004-2009, even before my friendship with N began. VERY sentimental to go through these, but uplifting in an odd sort of way. I could compare and contrast how I thought and felt then and now. I like now best! ;) I have no regrets. This site has really helped me to let go of a lot of the old pain. THANK YOU, isurvive.org!!! And thank you to you, Fleur, for hanging in there with me on this one. Letting go is rather hard to do for me. The only thing worse is to do it all alone.

{{{{{Fleur}}}}}

Honeybera
Last edited by ajei on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from MT to NT
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Honeybera

Understandable that you find letting go so hard and very difficult to do alone

But you are doing tasks so well

Come Thursday, those bits of paper will truly be gone

Cheers
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Fleur wrote:Come Thursday, those bits of paper will truly be gone
Yes, and that part of my life as well - THANK GOD!!! Living in an RV (even a brand new nice one) with no electricity or running water or bathroom facilities or ANY companionship (I called myself "The Cloistered Nun"!) was no picnic, believe me! Showers in the driver's room, the constant chores that only folks who have lived in an RV for any length of time can appreciate, my troubles with my now-estranged (bipolar) daughter - all were there in those scribbled "bits of paper". I remembered how nice it was to "come home" to here (100 miles away from the parking lot/RV setup at work): my home here had a constant flow of electricity and real, honest-to-God plumbing and hot water in my own private bathroom! I did "dry camping" (no hookups for anything!) for over 10 yrs. I went through 2 Honda generators, several "catastrophe fuses" (under my stove), and even got to where I could repair my own regular fuses (not catastrophe type). Just to watch TV I had to turn on the generator, making sure that I had enough gasoline to run it. My generator was mounted in the bed of my pickup truck, so I had to drive to the gas station, climbed up in the back of my truck (rain or shine or freezing cold and windy), and filled it with enough gasoline for about 8-10 hrs. of electricity. Warning: do NOT fall asleep with the TV on or else the generator had to be filled up again or else no electricity, AGAIN: rain or shine - and gas was almost $5.00/gal at the time! I also had to lift into the bed of my pickup to go fill my tanks when I ran out of propane, and then lift and reattach the FULL propane tanks, too, and I had to drive about 20 miles round trip to another town to get my propane tanks refilled. I did that on my split shift IF I had the time. It was an awful and exhausting and ruthlessly demanding life I saw as I threw each bit of paper away, and TRUST ME: I never want to "go camping" again!!! :roll:

On the other hand, what this experience has given me is a HUGE APPRECIATION of my current life! It's the same thing with the Mommy Dearest aspect of my life. They say that there is only growth through pain, and looking at Mommy Dearest now in her debilitating misery, withheld from her until she was in her 80's, I'm kind of glad that my misery came early. It truly gives me the ability to appreciate that which I have now. As I threw bit by bit of my often bitter work experience into the garbage, I felt deep gratitude for what I have now. I no longer have to get up at 2am, taking my last private shower in my own home, loading up my pickup for another two or three weeks away from here with food and freshly washed uniforms, and heading out the door by 3:45am to miss the horrendous commute traffic. OMG, I no longer have to do that! :P AND THEY HAVE TO SEND ME MY PENSION CHECK EVERY MONTH!! And it's for as much as I made while working the 12½ hr. split shifts I used to take on every time. So I sit on my butt at HOME making almond meal muffins and planting my garden and cleaning my OWN home AND THEY STILL HAVE TO SEND ME A CHECK, EVERY MONTH!! YAY!!! Wonder why I am showing Mr. Green ( :mrgreen: ) so much? I AM GRATEFUL!!!!!

And that "attitude of gratitude" is what keeps me going. However, more and more I am coming to believe that Mommy Dearest had more to do with the shaping of me and my personality than even my autism, and I'm beginning to see that in some ways, although she didn't "break me", she very well put some very negative and possibly permanent marks on the clean slate that was me when I came to be. I also believe that it's now my mission in life to correct as much of her heartless behavior towards me as I am capable of (and that is quite a bit).

I'm also beginning to see a couple of things that are important in my healing.
==========================================================
Written and forgotten last week. Sorry about that. Forgot to finish it and post it.

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I just found more of those tedious little cardboard squares, sorted all kinds of 33 gal. bags o' crap today, and I am very tired, but I have to "tell on" Mommy Dearest tonight regardless of my utter exhaustion. Here goes:

I finally got a chance to talk to my cousin C. Haven't talked to her in years and years. She is 8 yrs. older than me, and I have known her all my life, but we just sort of lost touch through the decades. She is a treasure trove of info on our family history on my dad's side (her dad and my dad were brothers), and I'm very glad of it because my paternal history is just one big blank for me. Mommy Dearest held those reins so tight on my father that we rarely got to see anyone on that side of the family. C told me that we had an aunt who was really into our ancestry, and she traced us all the way back to England (I never knew I was English!) - all fascinating stuff!

Then she dropped a real bombshell: Why didn't I come to the big reunion(s) when they were held? I was floored!! "And what reunions were those? And when!" "Well," she said, "your mother and father and brother came to every one, and we were all wondering why you never came to any of them." I said to her flatly, "I was never invited, and what's more, my mother never even told me about them." I cannot tell you just how hurt I was! Not at my cousin, but at my conniving parents!! All that was presented to the extended family was the nuclear family that Mommy Dearest wanted them to see, and I was NOT included!! My God, that is so like her!! Pure evil! Her childhood made her feel abandoned, and although she was determined to not ever abandon her child, I was born a G-I-R-L, and that would never do, but she also could not kill nor abandon me, so she brutalized me and punished me, and she does so to this day. What a nasty, cruel, uncalled for and twisted prank to pull on me. She is such a mean girl!! Mean and venomous! And she got my own father and brother to cover for her wicked campaign against me, keeping me in the dark while they all had a great laugh at my party ignorance. I feel betrayed by each of them. I would have so loved to have gone to that family reunion, but was never offered the opportunity. Shunning is a vicious way to hurt a person.

I am SO glad that I have this forum to share on. But I just fell sound asleep in my office chair while I was typing, so nighty night (for now)...

Honeybera
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Honeybera

Applauding you on for inroads on clearing clutter
Thank you for sharing about your life in camping mode RV style

Totally shocked about your cousin's revelations regarding family reunions
If / when another party is planned, hopefully you'll be invited

Trust you had a great sleep after sending message
And a happier day followed
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
PeacefulNinja

Post by PeacefulNinja »

Hi Honeybera,

Wow! Sorry your mother did this. You are right about shunning, it is so hurtful especially when it is a parent that is doing the shunning. So sorry for you.

PeacefulNinja
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Thank you, Fleur and PeacefulNinja! I'm glad that you're here. :mrgreen:

I just saw this on lowcarbfriends dot com as a quote and it made me think:
"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Quote from Regina Britt
That is what I am, after almost 70 yrs. of living, trying to do. I'm learning lots of things on this site as I try to "let go" of bad things in my past (heavy emphasis on the "past" as she can't slug me anymore, but her rapier wit and cruel nature are as sharp as ever!). The more I share on here and the more that I visit with Mommy Dearest (like the 3 hours I sat with her at her "retirement home" last Sat. night and listened to her revamp and revise the truth and history of my childhood), the more I can see that the only time really is the NOW, and that knowledge gives me the buffer against her that I need today.

Am I allowing her and her vicious abuse of me both physically and mentally (which happened, believe you me!) - well, I guess what I am saying is am I allowing her to drag me back into that nightmare of 60-some years ago by telling me that it never happened? She did. Several times, trying to get my goat. It was odd this time though. Instead of reacting and/or getting upset and/or trying to correct her so she'll "remember it the way it really happened", I just listened. I knew it wasn't true and that with her lies, she was just trying to get an entertainment factor of reaction from me...still! After all these years, she's still doing it! From what I can feel from this side of my face, I must have looked odd to her, sitting there with a bemused smile on my face and looking her right in the eyes as I listened to her. She couldn't figure it out. This verbal and emotional attack usually works great for her! :P

She got so frustrated that she even said I was "fat" and must be scarfing down tons of food to remain this way. Now I know that I'm actually slowly losing weight, so I just sat there and listened to her rant on about my weight. Normally this would instigate a huge reaction from me, with me on the absolute defensive, but I remember feeling like there was some sort of barrier between us, that the nastiness she was trying to smother me with wasn't working this time. She even threw my brother's 45 lb. weight loss at me, but I very quietly said to her, "Didn't he gain that back?", and she said, "Well, yes, and a few lbs. more.", and changed the subject. Wow. :roll: She was horrified that I was speaking with my cousin, and warned me to "stay away from her"! "She's such a blabbermouth! Won't let you get a word in!" I just nodded slightly and smiled. She is a talker, but so what? :roll:

My point is this: today and yesterday I baked muffins (low carb of course), cleaned the kitchen, did yard work (trying to get ready for my new trees)...just a busy little bee! I know I have to let go of my rotten childhood IF I WANT TO ENJOY THE NOW! I am actually getting a bit weary of blaming Mommy Dearest for EVERYTHING. I would rather take on more responsibility for my life and my weight and my house and my dogs and my son and EVERYTHING! Now I'm not saying that she didn't have an influence on my life - far from it!! She could have done much better with me (although I'm sure others have had it worse), but there is another saying that I love (now - but I used to hate it as a young adult because I thought it let MD off the hook too easily, however I know that she's getting hers now in spades!!). That saying goes something like this:
What you are is your parents fault, but if you stay that way, it's your fault.
I finally believe that now. And my garden being planted and my trees being put in and my house getting clean has nothing to do with her! NOR DOES SHE HAVE A RIGHT TO AN OPINION ON THAT OR HOW IT'S DONE OR WHETHER IT EVEN GETS DONE! THAT is on ME!!! I think I honestly want her to leave me alone. She is a horror show of a Mother. She will never be the cookie-baking Mommy I have craved and have sought out for so many years, only coming up with disappointment after bitter disappointment.

Right now as I sit here writing with the sliding glass door open, the breeze is wafting in the smell of freshly mowed grasses. I OWN this home. I'm about to make a nice chicken dinner for my son and me. I can honestly say, I am happy! And that's what I wish to keep.

Did she fail me as a mother? Of course she did! But ""Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." is how I want to do it, and how to let go of the hurt and pain of the past. I always wanted to "tell on her" for the awful things she would cook up and do to me. Well, I have! On here! Voluminous posts!! All our "secrets" bared for all to see. Well, I'm done. (For now at least.) I have a home and projects and a life to live. I'd like to make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present. What Mommy Dearest says or believes or tries to twist around to make her look better isn't any of my business, but how I live and treat myself and care for myself and what I choose to DO IS my business, and I fully intend to give fully to myself and live a happy life in these, my Golden Years, without interference from the old ancient and inconsequential nonsense that I have lived with until now!

And as far as my T's question: "How much power are you going to give to Mommy Dearest?" Answer: NONE!!!! It's all mine! :P

{{{{{{{{{{{{Love you all!!}}}}}}}}}}}

Honeybera
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi honeybera

Found myself smiling for you the deeper I got into your post - many light bulb moments for you, huh?
You go girl! 8-)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Ahhhh Honeybera.....

Time for a happy dance methinks

All power to you
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

SUPER LONG! EVEN FOR ME! But really good. Even for me. Forgive me. Lots to dump over several days...

Hello Jonesy and Fleur! Your comments make me happy, too. And accepted. And like I'm on the right track here.

N. called me to say that he "donated" his chickens to a nice family in his neighborhood with two little girls that are thrilled to have the chickens as their pets and layers (NOT fryers!) so he is now able to travel to wherever to work. That was difficult for him. It was like having a bird in a cage to keep you company in a lovely, but almost sterile house, and then having a situation come up and have to let even that comfort go. He's on the road again by at least late March if not sooner - sad for him, sad for me. He only has to do this for 4 more years, and he'll maintain his new home until then while living wherever he's working. He can raise more chickens then. But he's always got his friend here to talk to, and I think that gives him comfort, too. I hope so at least.

I have to be honest here. All is not perfect in my world at this time. I am so grateful that I have this forum to dump the nastiness whenever it comes up. The other night, my son, also an autistic (it runs in families and certainly in mine - father's side - Mommy Dearest is just OCD) got really angry (read: enraged) with me. Autistics have a tendency to get frustrated and rush to anger quickly, and although my son is usually calm, he does rarely get really upset with me, and when he does, it's truly frightening, especially for me! He seems kind of irked at everything at this time, but he really went off on me the other night!! He accepted the job of helping me plant those bare root trees and I paid him already, but he is very irked about actually doing it. He grouses at every step, complaining about his back hurting and how I should be clearing out the front room first so he can build and set up this huge wooden table I bought for him so he can have his Dungeons and Dragons game at our house. So he started to destroy the boxes I was saving to box up my donations, and when I saw that, I asked him why and to stop doing that. That's when he blew, and his face contorted, and he was enraged. Scared the hell out of me! He was yelling at me like I was his kid, and not the other way around. We were supposed to go to the lawyer's office today to take care of some legal issues around my 2013 Living Trust and Special Needs Trust, where he is the sole beneficiary - and I cancelled the appt. until March 4th. I want some time to think about trusting my son anymore. The fear he put in me has stopped me dead in my tracks.

Do you know the trouble I'm having? Trying to decide who would then be my beneficiary. I don't know a soul that I'd want to leave anything to. How friggin' sad is THAT??!! And who would take care of my dogs?? Maybe my son and I will make up. Who knows? But I do know that to stop his violent ranting that I had to remind him in a quiet, low, and determined voice, "This is domestic abuse, son!!", and that calmed him down somewhat. Talk about killing the Golden Goose! He just doesn't get it.

He left after his rant, and then came home at about 10am the next morning. I told him I'd like to clear the air and talk with him. I let him know that this is my house and not his. He said it made him mad that I had complained to N. that he was playing videogames in his underwear instead of helping me with the garden. (I did say that in the "privacy" of my own room, but he listened through the door. He denies that, and said that my voice carries more than I think, first saying that he heard me in his room and then changed it to through the "thin" walls in the kitchen - but my house is like a U shape with my room at the lower left base of the U and my kitchen at the upper right side and my house is 2100 sq. ft.! That's a long LONG way apart to hear me speaking quietly to N!!) In fact, he demanded that I never say anything negative about him playing videogames EVER! Since I rarely do anyway (and even he agrees that "I never do"), I said ok. And he helped me in the garden yesterday...grudgingly.

What happens when I am old(er) and more feeble and can't help myself? Is this the guy who's going to come through for me and care nicely for me? I have my doubts. I think I may end up in a nice nursing home just like my mean old mother, but for me voluntarily. I will have a dog. I hope to outlive at least 3 of them that I have now. Grizzly thoughts.

But I have to be honest. This is what's been going on in my perfect little world with the new bare root trees and my garden. I can tend it once it's in, but no longer can I just put it in myself...and I am alone again. It seems to me that I am less to him than his videogames and sitting around in his underwear. Bitter pill to swallow. But at least I have a plan B. Sell the house when it's time and move to the Old Folk's Home. Ugh. :roll:

But not today!! Grousing or not, I need some help on my garden. I hope to plant at least two more trees today. Even if I have to do it myself!! And I may. Or not. Don't know yet. My donut peaches are going in! Even one peach this year would be nice. Tomorrow I'm moving what N and I called the "icky-sticky", a rare Australian lime called a Finger Lime that died (what a shame!), digging it up and planting a 4n1 apple for pollination over in the dog's yard. Some of the fun is gone out of what should have been a delight. Oh well.

Life never seems to be perfect. I feel like my job is to make it tolerable. I have told my T over the years that every time I get my ducks lined up in a row, somebody kicks the crap out of my ducks! My answer? Just keep lining them back up. :| What else can I do?

Honeybera :roll:

=====================================

PS. Things are improving at a rapid clip between my son and I. Thank God! Tonight as I was fixing a roast (and it smells yummy right now), my son came in to put my full super heavy Le Creuset® roaster in the oven for me and noticed a Subconjunctival hemorrhage (broken blood vessel) in my right eye. He even took a picture of it for me. I'm now through with Kaiser's HMO Opt. Dept!!! I'm going to go travel 75 miles and see my old reliable and trustworthy eye doctor of the last 30+ yrs. and either pay him out of my own pocket, see if Medicare will offset some of the cost, or take that Care Credit financing. He can dilate my eyes and see what is going on in there or whatever he needs to do. Kaiser said that I have uncorrectable cataracts in both eyes, and even though I can't SEE with the new glasses, I should "just wear them for a couple of weeks so my brain can get used to them" . I've been to them 8 different times over several years and each time has been a disaster for me. Even with my commercial driver's license they screwed up (paperwork done incorrectly by their "Occupational Medicine doctor" and the DMV sent it back to me to have them fill it out again properly - so what else does this guy do!!?? They're lame in every dept. there!), and my breast biopsy was a real horror show for me - and they told me that even though it was benign, they still wanted to operate! I would never EVER allow them to put drops in my eyes and make a "conclusion". NONSENSE!! They'd probably grab the sulfuric acid by mistake and blind me, then adding a "so sorry about that", and what could I do at that point? No, absolutely NO trust there! You'd think they'd at least get it right once in 8 tries!!

So I'm calling my old eye doctor tomorrow and get the real skinny on this.

====================================

My son and I both have an eye appointment on Tuesday for an eye exam and for me they will dilate my eyes and check on both diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration (AMD). Also new prescriptions for our glasses. I also want to know if my cataracts even exist, and my former eye doctor takes both Medicare (ds and I both have that) and Care Credit for me if I need cataract surgery because I'll be damned if Kaiser is getting another crack at me! "Thrive" my ass!! They are such inept losers!!!

My son is starting to communicate with me re: gardening. We should have a tree or two planted by tomorrow. I don't think he is now nor will he ever be a real gardening enthusiast like I am, but he is trying hard to be a bit more cheerful and helpful. And I am very grateful for that.

I have everything done except to decide exactly where the trees will be planted. It's really important because it's a very permanent move, but I also have to remember the impatience of Mother Nature herself. She's a very strict taskmaster with no wiggle room. Those trees should have been in the ground already. But they'll probably be in by the time it rains again on Friday or Saturday and still be just fine. I will breathe such a huge sigh of relief once they're in and stabilizing, and then get back to my donations and cleaning the front room. One step at a time. (And with a nice big "Attagirl!!" to myself each step of the way.)

Today we just prepped - and I had my son pull a "root" I pulled up with my Cobra Hoe (aka The Steel Fingernail - a GREAT and very useful tool in the garden!) and it pulled and pulled! Buried under about 6" of dirt and about the diameter of a quarter, it was a runner from this bamboo! It was supposed to be a "clumper" bamboo (non-runner/won't spread), but I think the nursery lied to N and I. This root I happened upon was at least 25' from the tree and more than 6' long!! :shock: I think I'm going to get rid of that whole mess that the bamboo tree is causing. I know it won't be easy, but I want another fruit tree there. Maybe a pear or an Asian pear (those are SO good!!) planted closely together for pollination. Lots of pruning, picking, and watering plus fertilizer every so often. Weed control, too! But with a little help with the really heavy chores, I can do it! And NO MORE BAMBOO! Dangerous stuff that!!

The raised beds are about to be filled with soil and nutrients and planted (I'm trying peas first), and I've just about decided where the pole beans will go (near the fence with lots of sun, but not quite yet - too early for those). I have a large shoebox FULL of all sorts of exotic and "favorite" seeds, so I'm not going to order more fresh seeds for this year. AND I need to prune everything, some things more than others. My Weeping Santa Rosa Plum is in FULL bloom and it is chock full of brilliant white blossoms that have popped out everywhere on every branch! It has the attention of lots and lots of honey bees (hence lots and lots of sugar-sweet plums in July!), but it also has a H-U-G-E sucker that's formed from the peach rootstock that has been growing for years. It's nearly as big a "tree" as the WSR Plum itself, but it's not a good or flavorful peach and it hasn't blossomed yet, so I'm going to cut it back severely!! Maybe half of the offending peach sucker, leaving the rest for next year's pruning. It will give my WSR Plum the advantage it needs to thrive in a kinder and more nurturing environment with watering and fertilizer and micronutrients. It's the best plum I've ever eaten!

I've saved all my egg cartons for seed starting, and I'm going to be planting my tomatoes soon. I'll fill the entire egg carton with starting soil, then drop in the seeds and mark the top to say which kind of seeds I've planted. I especially want to try those rarely seen (at least in this part of the country) Creole Tomatoes to see if they are as fantastic with the deeply rich flavor as they say online, plus anything with purple (tomatoes, string beans, carrots, etc. - yes! Purple string beans! "Dragon's Tongue" they're called IIRC) and of course, my flashy orange SunGold grape tomatoes, my favorite! Lovely in a crispy green salad. YUM! Think of the fresh, organic antioxidants in these colorful foods! I can hardly wait until summer! :mrgreen: It is creeping up on me quickly!

Tonight I held my own with Mommy Dearest when she tried to play the old game of "Poor you! I had a man to help me and you didn't - ha ha ha on YOU!", BUT it didn't work this time. I retorted with, "Not a problem. I earned every bit of what I have right now, both SSA and my pension, ALL BY MYSELF - but even better, AND because I did it alone without a man, I became a stronger person, able to handle the entire thing myself!" We then decided to change the subject and talk about gardens and bare root trees instead. :P Three neeners!!! :lol: That old cow will eventually learn NOT to try and bait me that way. She can take her pot-shots at me, but it somehow doesn't pierce whatever I've learned in over 40 yrs. of therapy plus this blessed place here to dump my old pain and learn how to deal with her nastiness, and to put on the breastplate that restricts those barbs from going straight to the heart as they used to. She is a sick puppy sometimes, but I am no longer the needy child (and yes, even adult) who served as her available whipping boy. Nope, and it gets easier the more I practice it. No more beatings, no more emotional/verbal abuse that strips my skin off. She is tricky, but I am SO MUCH STRONGER than she is! Believe me - it felt very good tonight defending myself against her ridiculous comments!! Somehow she raised a good and decent person, reliable and strong, not perfect, but a very good person! And that confidence in myself was that breastplate, that armor against her, and it felt GOOD to tell her NO, you cannot abuse me unless I give you permission to, AND I DO NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION!!! And that was that. Nice!! :mrgreen:

I need to go to bed now...feeling good tonight. Sorry for the length of this. But this is the only place I have to share.

Honeybera :mrgreen: