Help me, Obi Wan Kanobi, you're my only hope!

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Help me, Obi Wan Kanobi, you're my only hope!

Post by honeybera »

I'm feeling the need to DUMP.

I looked around and thought of starting a new topic, but this seems ok, so here goes:

I've been watching a lot of Dr. Phil lately as I do my (mountain of) chores here in the house (105ºF heat wave outside in the garden - making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak), and old Dr. Phil hit on a trigger that I'm not sure if I mentioned or not. I thought I'd rather stick it over on the sexual abuse area of this site, but I can't go out of this "thread" or else I have to log in again and I can't remember my password. :( So I'll just put it here instead.

My father, the absolute enabler and protector of Mommy Dearest, used to do some sexual things to me, or at least I considered them sexual. My mother finally put an abrupt stop to it when I was almost 13. I developed early, REALLY early, and by the time I was nearly a teen, I had a real rack on me. My father played a game with me that he called "tickling my titties". It was exactly what it sounds like. It started when I quite little, because he'd done this for as long as I can remember. But when I was about, oh, I don't know...8 or 9 and began to develop, he did it more. He would hold me down on my back on the floor and "tickle" me...yes, on my titties! He didn't try to hide it. Did it right in front of my mother. And if anyone objected, he would act like they were being ridiculous, that he was "just playing".

Was he?? I honestly don't know. I know I was uncomfortable with it, and Mommy Dearest, who NEVER protected me from ANYTHING, was the one who finally said (curtly!), "_____! Stop doing that to her!" I don't think she was suddenly altruistic and protective of me (certainly!!), but rather I think she said that to my father out of a sense of jealousy. And that did put a stop to it.

I do know that in my mother's eyes I did not register as a human being, but something more like a long-term chore. She was in fact driven by her perception of chores and her ability to do them properly. It was her ticket to ride in this life, and her worth was measured by it. She is MEGA-COMPETITIVE with all around her except my father when he was alive and my brother now. All others are fair game for her and her competitive nature. She has to be the best to qualify in her own mind.

So imagine how she looked at the old "tickling your titties" game! I don't know how he saw it (although I know how he should have seen it!!!!), but she saw it as ME attempting to "take her man"!! And honestly, that's exactly how she acted towards me! The beatings increased until I left home. (BTW, my brother, the "saint", had been born and was MD's new ticket to ride. She didn't need the "old child" anymore to "qualify". I was an even more unwanted, and now unnecessary, CHORE!)

And come to think of it, when my friend's mother caught my friend and I over at a couple of boy's house when their mother was at work (9th grade), and she interrupted what was going on (not much with me, but I think my friend was a lot more "mature thinking" than I was - a LOT more!), she took us straight to my house to face my parents. From that time on, my father would have nothing to do with me. Odd that. Until I moved out at 18, NOTHING. Like he had to pay for my keep, but that was it.

And as punishment for being over at the boy's house, my mother cut my long hair off. She beat me so bad, washed my hair over and over so my hair would be flyaway, and then cut my bangs to about 3/4" long and laughed as she told me that those were Mamie Eisenhower bangs. I didn't want to go to school, I was so ashamed. I really looked ridiculous. My father rarely spoke to me after that.

BTW, after this debacle ended and I was sent alone to bed upstairs, my father and mother retired each to their own twin beds...along with my sainted brother, who slept all cuddled up with MD until he was 6 yrs. old!! He had a room upstairs across from my room, but he never used it. TO THIS DAY, he doesn't want to talk about it. Again, how odd, hm?

I think I know when the pain of all the years with them will end: when it doesn't trigger me anymore.
The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.
When 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes' no longer prick at me when Dr. Phil mentions them, I will be whole. While I busy myself with my chores, chores that I truly WISH to do now, and bringing them up no longer affects me with a reaction, then I'll finally be free! :mrgreen: I need to work on my home (and it's slowly beginning to get to exactly how I want it to look/be - by MY OWN STANDARDS) and to lose weight for my health, which I am faithfully doing. I have to keep remembering that I do NOT have to compete with her anymore, like the comment she made on my visit out to see her and she wanted to compare who had the bigger/best looking BOOBS. :lol: I'll be 70 next year and she's 86. Who the hell cares anymore who has the perkier or floppier?? :lol:

Good Lord! :roll:

My brother has thrown her into that nursing home...and so be it. I don't have to go see her or call her. And IF SHE IS EVER MEAN TO ME AGAIN, I can just NOT see her or talk to her. She needs to realize that IT'S A PRIVILEGE that I give her, NOT A RIGHT!! And if she dies, ok. We'll all die at some point. And that chapter of my life will close. I just want the book to stay shut regarding MD!! I still have a life to live, for Pete's sake, and I'll be damned if she's going to be given my power again! Because I won't give it away, ever again!!!!!!!!! It's MY POWER NOW!! She no longer has the ability to be cruel in my life because I won't allow it. I want to re-parent myself with the kindness and patience that was taught me by my beloved grandparents, and that's just what I'm doing.

{{{{{{Hugs to you all!!}}}}}}}} Thank God you are here! I am so grateful for this site where I can come and dump this garbage, release it, and not have to clutter up my life with it. I hope you have been aided by something that you read on here. I do get long-winded... :mrgreen:

Honeybera
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Here with you Honeybera (wish we had a hug smilie)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

Hi Honeybera

like Jonesy
sending you a hug
you are so inspirational in the way you deal with things.
here reading, hearing and caring.

hopeful
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

OK, I can share this horrible disappointment on here. :cry:

In the dog's yard, a 4'x8' panel of 3/4" plywood, tacked up to my fence and used to block the view of our neighbors and our neighbor's dogs from our dogs so they don't bark so much, came loose and fell on top of my Ice Cream banana tree that N. and I had planted together, crushing that tree. :cry: :cry: :cry:

It actually took me a couple of hours after recognizing what had happened (I can sort of see it from my bedroom window) to get up courage enough to go out there and assess the damage done. I lifted off the huge and heavy board, and underneath was the flattened little banana tree that I'd worked so hard to preserve. :shock:

My only hope was remembering what N had told me long ago about how they had had banana trees on their farm back in the Old Country he is from and how they had "chopped them down" after the harvest each year, and how those trees would grow back. Bananas spring up from the roots of the plant, and will do so year after year. Being crushed like this though? I'm not sure. Maybe. Bananas do grow differently from say apples or oranges.

I grow very attached to certain things. My dogs, my car, even my trees. I name them sometimes, like my dwarf walnut tree, Pedro, and my apple tree, King-King, and I often grow to really care about them. Mommy Dearest often teased and ridiculed me about this, and would to this day if I told her about them, which I don't!

So when I go out there and find one of my trees smashed under a board that's fallen, hopefully not fatally, I feel like a friend has been injured. There's a sense of loss there.

I'm so glad that all of you are here.

Honeybera
Last edited by ajei on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from MT to NT
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Jonesy wrote:Here with you Honeybera (wish we had a hug smilie)
Hi Jonesy,

Did you erase a portion of my post with the recipe the other day? If you did, that's one thing, but when you do that, please simply advise me of whatever rule I've broken, because I don't see what a low carb candied nut recipe has to do with harming some other person's psyche. If you do, please tell me.

However, if you didn't do that, then where did it go? I'm reporting that to you. One of the main things important to me is the feeling of safety and security to post and to share and just be myself genuinely on this board. You and the other moderators are wonderful at handling that, but I still need the respect due me accomplished by communicating your needs to me so we're all on the same page. If sharing a recipe is a no-no, just let me know and I'll take it down myself, or at the very least know that you did already and understand the reason for it.

And a smiley hug isn't a bad idea.

Thanks,
Honeybera
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

hopeful wrote:Hi Honeybera

like Jonesy
sending you a hug
you are so inspirational in the way you deal with things.
here reading, hearing and caring.

hopeful
It's always a pleasure to hear from you, hopeful. You make me feel hopeful whenever things don't really look that way.

{{{{{{{{{hopeful}}}}}}}}}}

Honeybera :mrgreen:
Last edited by ajei on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi honeybera
honeybera wrote:Did you erase a portion of my post with the recipe the other day?
Absolutely not. I would always leave a reason why I had edited a post. Not sure what has happened there.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Jonesy, I appreciate your quick reply and your steadfast honesty. I wonder what happened? It did seem so out of character for you.

Perhaps just a glitch in the new system.

{{{{Jonesy}}}}

Honeybera
Last edited by ajei on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I'm in a quandary, and I see a problem storm-clouding on the horizon, so I think I'll just post it on here and maybe it will just go away...

My dearest and best friend, N., has invited me to come to his new home at the end of Oct. It pretty much built now, and he signs the paperwork in only 7 days now. We have been talking almost every night. Just last night he asked me if I'd come. I said sure, that we'd work it out, but I feel myself putting on the brakes already. What is wrong with me????

I don't know how much of this is autism, how much is my abusive childhood, or what this is, but it has nothing to do with him and EVERYTHING to do with me. Maybe I should just write about it and see what is revealed to me. Lord knows, I am NOT perfect!! I try to have a good upbeat attitude re: life, but this is starting to look like either severe depression or agoraphobia, or maybe relief from so many years of dealing with the ornery public on a daily basis? I don't know. I seem to be stuck in my bedroom, though. I go to the kitchen to fix food and eat, then back to my room. I have a nice big private bathroom attached, and a walk-in closet, a semi-pleasant view of my backyard/garden...but I'm watching the "garden" area becoming overgrown with weeds. I have little to no energy. I sleep all day and am awake all night. I never see the sun some days.

I have new furniture and new small appliances and even a new paid-for freezer for the Hobby Room just waiting for new places to live, but the boxes are still cluttering my kitchen and the Hobby Room, although much better, is still full of "Things" (old blankets, old clothes, old chairs, mystery items, tools that belong in the chaotically cluttered garage that desperately needs cleaning, too, and so on). It doesn't come close to the TV show Hoarders, and I do make a tiny headway with it each day, but that headway IS tiny and I can see no light at the end of the tunnel. I need to sort out the chaotic move done 14 yrs. ago culminating in dumping the 25 yrs. of the mixed junk and valuables from my apt. into my then brand new home...and now it's time to sort it all out. There is just so much of it!!

And the worst part is that I no longer want to interact with those outside. Even N. I have issues with my self-esteem and my upbringing that only perfect is good enough, so as I did as a child, I sit quietly and do little to nothing. Am I truly "lazy", a word my mother almost spat at me? I don't know. All I know is that I almost hate to "go to the store" anymore! I have the money to get anything I want, but I want nothing. I have everything I need. So why am I having so many troubles organizing and cleaning my own home?

Let me address the inability to interact with others. I was invited to my grandchildren's graduations from high school 1500 miles away: didn't go, just sent $100 for each of them, told them I was "sick" and couldn't come. I almost missed my daughter's 1st marriage (problems with no outfit to wear, a big deal for me, and I couldn't figure out how to do my hair, another big deal), and I did miss her graduation from college (watched it on my computer instead at home - "wasn't feeling well"). Paid for all pictures taken. And now N. wants me to go out of state to see his new home...and I want to go, but I don't want to go, too. I'll drive the 10 hours, wear my standard outfit (over-sized top with shorts b/c I always wear shorts, and sandals), long hair combed up and pinned back. No makeup, as always. Wow. I think I do feel inferior. Hm. "Less than". Not quite good enough to see him in that perfect new home. Perhaps Mommy Dearest did break my spirit.

N. has this perfect brand new just-built home, and he is dying to show it to me. He even had me help him pick all the colors and styles of everything over the phone with pics on text. I think he just wants to share his joy with his BFF. And here I am, having a hard, if not impossible, time getting down to the hardware store to get my gopher guards for my raised beds and get my Fall garden in the ground and the weeds gone! Mind you, I am a Commercial Driver. Says so right on my license. I can drive for 10 hours to his home with no problems. But I'm holed up in this room like an invalid, which is what I will become if I keep on being so reclusive. And I don't want to let my friend down. Not now. Not ever.

And my old addiction is calling to me...food. I am not exactly eating compulsively, nor am I eating too much, but I am barely moving, and not because of any pain I have been in, which is no longer a problem with me, thank God, or anything else. I'm just depressed. Sad. Lonely. But I don't want to see anyone, either! Go figure! I'm isolating myself. I saw some TV programs about life inside prisons the other day, and I was impressed with the similarity of how alike my existence is, except for the size of the rooms and I don't have my meals prepared for me. Toilet, shower, TV, bunk - only I'm in solitary.

I wonder if I'm just on the Pity Pot? This whole gig, which may have started long ago with Mommy Dearest, is squarely MY baby now! I'm no longer bucking the responsibility for my own life and I'm not resenting it now. MD has nothing to do with how my life goes anymore. I'm isolating myself. Hm.
The way you are is your parent's fault, but if you stay that way, it's your fault.
That is so true! I need to be my own Best Friend. To be good to myself. All those years of therapy should be paying off now. I've got to stop playing the MD role in her absence by punishing myself like this! I have become her. Frightening!!

I haven't slept all night (normal for me), but now it's 1pm, and if I sleep now, I'll wake up when it's dark AGAIN: not good. I think I'll get an iced coffee and try to sleep at 9pm tonight, hopefully changing my inner clock and wake-sleep patterns. Hey, it's a start. And then begin to tackle some of these other problems.

My friend N. needs me. And he has always been there for me. Yeah, and then I need begin to tackle some of these 'other problems'. Yeah.

Honeybera
recover

Post by recover »

hi honeybera,
read your post and hoping you can take good care of you and that you get to see N. i hear that it is hard now.
with support,
recover