'You deserve it'

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Shine

'You deserve it'

Post by Shine »

I had some very happy and exciting news earlier this week. A promotion at work to a position I never, ever thought I would get. I have been overwhelmed with people's responses- colleagues and friends (and colleagues who are friends) have said to me not just the usual platitude of 'congrats' but lots and lots of people have been telling me 'you deserve this' :o I have been surprised at this, but I think I believe it! The term has only ever been associated with the bad stuff that happened to me - I was programmed to believe I deserved the abuse. With this exciting new role comes me reclaiming the phrase. I've worked damn hard on myself and as a professional and I do deserve it! I'm excited for the future.
I didn't dare think I might get it but made a bit of a deal with myself that if I did get the job I would quit smoking. I managed to stop 6 years ago but when I was leaving the cult my therapist dragged me I to I started up again. Well I've not smoked since I got the job at the beginning of the week. That's very early days but I'm feeling positive!
Dreams do come true
dancingfish

Re: 'You deserve it'

Post by dancingfish »

Aw, that is excellent news! Both your promotion news and accepting that you deserve this, taking a phrase back for good. :) Well done you!
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Dear Shine,

I understand the feeling and physical shudder with the words "you deserve it". It is nice when life gives you the chance to redeem and reclaim the same words for that which you actually do deserve. I think self kindness is one of the unexpected hard places in recovery. So do your happy dance and practice random acts of SELF-kindness.

We shall over come the word "deserving"!

with joy,
Harmony
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Wowee, Shine!

Thank you for sharing your positive changes

Sure -- early days -- what a lovely beginning
Very happy for you about promotion and cessation of smoking

I had a friend who saved her smoking money for a beautiful cruise ship holiday
Another person used the cash to put a deposit on a house

They both said that the savings account growth helped them stay strong when tempted to return to cigarettes

Great that you can turn around the phrase of deserve this to mean beautiful things

Way to go!

Fleur
ajei

Post by ajei »

Congratulations shine :)

ajei
Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

Shine wrote:With this exciting new role comes me reclaiming the phrase. I've worked damn hard on myself and as a professional and I do deserve it! I'm excited for the future.
:D :D :D :D :D You're rocking it, Shine!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Sequoia
Shine

Post by Shine »

Lovely to see these replies thank you :) Had a bit of a wobble these past couple of weeks but coming though that. Sometimes it is almost as hard to deal with the positive as the negative for me. Two months no smoking this week despite the wobble!
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

Shine,

Congrats on the promotion as well as quitting the smoking! You DO deserve good things in your life.

Sheep :)
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Hello Shine

Congratulations for not resuming smoking, despite wobble

What did you do instead of smoking? Understand how difficult it can be to cease cigarettes

Yeah. Positives can be just as trying as negativity but hopefully you'll soon become accustomed to pleasant things happening

Glad you're getting through wobble
May it make you stronger

Offering safe caring hugs
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
ajei

Post by ajei »

Congratulations Shine :D

ajei