Tattoo

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

sharona

Tattoo

Post by sharona »

Hello,

Like everyone, this post is my thought and not meant to sound disrespectful to what others are going through. Today I woke up and my abuse wasn't the first, second or third thing I thought of, in fact I don't know which thought it was. This is a massive breakthrough for me and underlined how far I have come. It feels like a big day.

Randomly I have always wanted a tattoo, just a small one & just for me. I would like something significant & tonight I thought about getting something that symbolizes survival. I wondered if anyone else has done something similar?

Sharona
Last edited by ajei on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from MT to NT
ag01

Re: Tattoo

Post by ag01 »

Hey Sharona,

Is awesome that you had such a good breakthrough.
I'm the same wanting a tattoo just for me, have a time scheduled to go over my design, I know what I want, I'm getting my heart rhythm followed by the words just breathe. Had an EKG done while ago so got a copy of it so I have my heart beat, the writing I want in script, like the idea of having something for me. I like the idea of getting one for survival
Much support
Ag01
fightinback

Post by fightinback »

small purple butterfly on my ankle. Purple for healing. Butterfly for transformation.

Do whatever makes you happy.

ag01 that's beautiful.
FB Delicately changing my name because I don't need to fight anymore.

Be true to yourself
Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it
Mrsunderstood

Post by Mrsunderstood »

My spouce and I got believe tattoed on the top of our wrists with the B shaped as a heart. partially cause its matching and has meaning to us but it reminds us that we need to believe in ourselves and the future. Im so glad i got it last year
cheers
Mrsunderstood
sharona

Post by sharona »

Thanks guys. Feeling inspired now!

Sharona
Remedy

Post by Remedy »

Hi Sharona,

I'd been thinking about getting something tattoo'd myself when I read your post...

After detailed research, I decided on a design - something very small but of personal significance.
Today, I shopped around until I found an artist who I felt 100% comfortable with.
It was exciting to have my first tattoo inked, a little painful, but it felt like an achievement.

At the time, I thought, 'I can do anything'. I felt as though I was taking control.
In a way, I gave myself permission to choose whatever I want to do with my body, in my life even.
I found being mindful of my emotions throughout the process important though.

The following link had a few good tips that I'd not previously considered:
(removed url - try googling '21 things to know before your get a tatoo, buzzfeed')

It's fantastic to hear of your breakthrough where thoughts of the abuse were not prominent.
To consider getting a tattoo that has a personal meaning for you is an empowering choice.
I would recommend the experience, whenever you feel that you are ready.

Sending warm wishes,
Remedy
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLEASE do not post external urls, as per our guidelines
lsnp

Post by lsnp »

Hi Sharona,

I got one very near my skin tone on the underside of my wrist. It is light pink so it is hardly noticeable but I know it is there and it has significance for me. The semi-colon means your story isn't over yet for those of us who have attempted or come close to death or self-harm. The dove after is a spirit of peace I want to carry with me, that saved me.

I am sooo excited to hear ur thoughts were not first on ur abuse today. What an amazing moment. Have you seen the watercolor tattoos? There are some really pretty ones. I have seen one of the lungs and I thought about that with just breathe on it...lol

lsnp
Last edited by ajei on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed trigger from MT to NT
FracturedTat

Post by FracturedTat »

Hi Sharona.

I realize that this topic was from almost a year ago, but it definitely hit home for me. I'm a new member here, just did my newbie introduction last night. I had always had the problem of denial of my abuse. I was always told by my family growing up being beaten and abused was just normal. I wanted a tattoo for many years, but never could settle on a design I could live with forever. I finally found one. I know it seems a little on the negative side, but it serves as a reminder to myself that what happened to me was wrong. I had the word "broken" tattooed on my ankle. As Remedy had stated, it gave her a sense of control. The design is very personal to me, and gave me the feeling of having a choice of what I want to do with my own body. Unfortunately, my husband and children were not so understanding of it. I was acused of it being an attention getter, or a way to stir up drama. That hurt. Totally NOT my intention, it was something I was doing.....just for me, because I wanted to, and because it meant so much to me.

I hope your decision about the tattoo worked out the way that makes you happy.
"I was told not to air my dirty laundry in public...but then I realized it wasn't MY dirty laundry."- D. Ouimet