My Journey through Education

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

writing2heal

My Journey through Education

Post by writing2heal »

In 2009 my marriage was falling apart. I decided to start back to school. I needed something to focus on while dealing with the aftershock of what was going on in my own home. So I started back at my local community college, majoring in English and working towards my associates degree.

Here we are December 2011, and since my absence from February (when I was separated from my spouse for 6 months), until recently (when I felt better to come back here after working on all these things), I have completed all of my required classes to graduate except one. Next semester will be my last semester as a community college student. I have achieved one step towards my dream. I couldn't have done it without the amazing support of so many here.

This semester was one of my best. I have earned the highest marks in all my classes. My overall GPA is a 3.8. Through getting my education I have a daily reminder of my own self-value, and of how determined I can be. It has not been an easy road, but it has been worth it.

Thank you isurvive for giving me the hope to dream again. I really couldn't have done it without you!
Writing2Heal

"The eye was placed where one ray should fall, that it might testify of that particular ray" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Part of the isurvive family since Oct. 7, 2008. 768 previously contributed posts.
silentlistener

Re: My Journey through Education

Post by silentlistener »

HI writing,

I am glad you found the courage to dream again, and education can be an excellent way to distract yourself from the things happening in your life. I have found this to be the case.

sL
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

It always moves me to tears when l see a member of isurvive grow and break free from the constraints of their pasts.

This is another one of those moments.

W2H, Lori would have loved to have read this and I know she would have been so proud of you.

You are a thriver.
s331d

Post by s331d »

Congrats! This is a huge success and I'm celebrating it with you!
writing2heal

Post by writing2heal »

Gizmo,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I truly know in my heart of hearts that Lori would be proud of me for moving forward with living. I have worked so hard, and I have all of your support to thank for being able to keep my head above water to do so.
Writing2Heal

"The eye was placed where one ray should fall, that it might testify of that particular ray" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Part of the isurvive family since Oct. 7, 2008. 768 previously contributed posts.
writing2heal

Post by writing2heal »

s331d

Thank you so much for acknowledging my attempts. It means so much to feel validated :)
Writing2Heal

mary jane

Post by mary jane »

I'm really happy for you! This sounds great. Well done. I imagine it was hard at times!!
I also find it very helpful to work towards something and to be distracted during this struggle and heartache. For me it's work. I'm trying hard to archive more so I really understand!
Do you have plans for after your graduation? Plans and goals always help, too!! :)
writing2heal

Post by writing2heal »

Thank you mary jane :)

After I graduate, we are moving to a new place, where I plan to continue my education by earning my BA in English- Creative Writing emphasis. I'd also like to pick up a minor in fine art photography, but that may be a little bit ambitious. Once I get my BA, I am eligible for something called "Fifth Year" which means that I could return the fall after getting my BA and do another year of only EDUCATION courses, and would graduate again with a Masters of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.)
Writing2Heal

there

Post by there »

W2h,
you go, girlfriend!!!
I looooove creative writing too.
And I loved going to a community college before getting my Bachelor's.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
writing2heal

Post by writing2heal »

there, thanks! I'm loving it too.
Writing2Heal