Hello/Intro

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Whycantweallbekind

Hello/Intro

Post by Whycantweallbekind »

I am tired of being an actor in my own life. The reflexive answer of “fine” when asked how I am no longer is able to escape my lips, and when it does, I immediately feel ashamed of the lie.

I am a 46 yo woman who was sexually and physically abused by my brother throughout my childhood. I held the secret with only limited pieces escaping my lips until around the time I turned 40. The story came out as an explosion. At the time I was also dealing with a traumatic incident at work, and it all got marbled up in CPTSD. In college, I was the victim of sexual assault at a party which I can’t recall the details of due to dissociation.

I entered therapy and was able to disclose the abuse to my family. It did not go well. My parents showed support yet didn’t hold my brother accountable and my sister wanted to pretend like nothing ever happened. Most of the extended family never found out. I have one Aunt and cousin that are supportive, however they live at a distance. I mostly consider myself estranged from my family.

So here I am, six years later. I have a husband, two teenage daughters, and the dog I got myself when I fell apart six years ago-kind...a sort of, therapy dog, but she’s crazy too, so it’s ironic.

Anyhow, I’m starting to ramble. I’m glad to have found a community I can identify with and also very sorry that there is a community of people that feel this pain.
Last edited by Serenity on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content included
the husband

Re: Hello/Intro

Post by the husband »

Hello Whycantweallbekind

I'm glad you are here. You don't have to be "fine" here, and we will sit with you however you are feeling.
Serenity
Director
Director

Post by Serenity »

Hi Whycantweallbekind,

Welcome to isurvive. I'm glad you've found us.

With care,
Serenity
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Whycantweallbekind

A warm welcome to isurvive ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
fight4me

Post by fight4me »

Hi
Wycantweallbekind

Welcome to this very wonderful safe place

You can say as much or as little as you want to

I know that feeling well
“FINE”

In work it has to be fine

It’s a hard road we all travel but the nice thing is we are not alone
flowermelt

Post by flowermelt »

Hello, I too am new to this forum. I too suffered abuse from my brother. : ( I really feel for you, and I too have been estranged from my family. To be honest, it ripped our hole family to shreds. : ( It's great to relate to each others and find even the littlest bit of positive in this absolutely soul destroying situation! Please take care and know I am here as are others who understand and relate 100% to your pain and heart ache. xxx
Last edited by Harbor on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content included
Whycantweallbekind

Post by Whycantweallbekind »

Thank you for all the kind words.
Last edited by Jonesy on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
solana

Post by solana »

welcome! i like your name. i also wish everyone could be kind. while that's not always the case out in the general world, i have found everyone on this forum to be incredibly kind.
You are stronger than you know.