Hello

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Gromit

Hello

Post by Gromit »

Hi,

I found this place thanks to NAPAC. I am on other forums, for C-PTSD & child abuse.

A health visitor 1st mentioned child abuse to me when I had my 1st child, 15 years ago but it is only in the last 2 years that I have found out how to describe what happens to me. That doesn't mean I haven't tried, I tried to describe what I now know is an emotional flashback to a therapist 13 years ago, & described the recurring nightmares.

I've been in & out of various kinds of therapy since then, have just come to the end with my latest because I am now on a waiting list for CBT on the NHS.

It has taken a long time to view my childhood as abusive because the abuse was not physical (unless not seeking medical treatment for injuries counts) and not sexual. It was more emotional, psychological. Plus I am quite resilient, independent & I seem so calm.

It is all an act, I am anything but calm. I suffer with depression, anxiety, hypervigilance, plus the random mysterious physical symptoms that I have had.

I suppose I should also say that I am very low, to no contact with my family of origin, & have been for some time. It is just impossible to look after myself & my family & remain in contact with my parents.

So, I came here for support & to give support. I have found by sharing things I am not alone in what I feel or in how I have been treated. I have found that I am not to blame, it is not my fault.
Last edited by Jonesy on Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
Jitterbug

Re: Hello

Post by Jitterbug »

Hello Gromit.

No, it is not your fault.

Welcome to this sanctuary. Hopefully you will find lots of support here.

I can really relate when you described... "It is just impossible to look after myself & my family &".... I understand that pressure so well.

Warmly,

Jitterbug
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Gromit

A warm welcome to isurvive - glad you found us ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
quixote

Post by quixote »

Gromit,
Welcome. You demonstrate a lot of self-knowledge which can be invaluable towards your healing.
quixote
Titanium9

Post by Titanium9 »

Hi Gromit,

I am new here, too. My thoughts are with you and I hope today is a good day for you.
Gromit

Re: Hello, online CBT question.

Post by Gromit »

Titanium9 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 am
I am new here, too. My thoughts are with you and I hope today is a good day for you.
Hi Titanium, must admit I have not looked on here awhile, thanks for commenting.

Today, after several apologies for the delay I now have an offer of online CBT from the NHS. I am on a waiting list for face to face CBT. Not sure what to think. Have never had online therapy. The ability to choose the time appeals but otherwise how can it work? How do you form a relationship with the therapist? How would you always connect with the same one?

Has anyone here tried it?
Last edited by Harmony on Sat May 12, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited trigger indicator from MT toNT due to no specific material triggering
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Hi gromit,
I have done something similar but not specifically cbt. I did dbt. Both tend to be skill building like classes rather than processing by relationships type of therapy. That is why you can "learn" cbt. That is why it can be done nicely on line.

My experience is that you don't deal with trauma directly rather learn new responses to the feelings and side effects of the trauma. I needed both interpersonal traditional therapy plus cbt/dbt. Both helped. Note I was so nervous about the dbt I had to do it twice to hear it properly. That is just me.

Hope this experience is helpful. No doubt your experience will be different. Please do read up on cbt so you can lower anxiety and get proper expectations. It is very practical and organized, no magic nor heavy feelings involved in my training.

with care,
Harmony