Hi From A New Member!

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

WordsLikeInnocence

Hi From A New Member!

Post by WordsLikeInnocence »

Hi Everyone! My name is a phrase from my favorite survivor song: Broken Girl by Matthew West. When I'm reflecting on what I've been through, I like to listen to this song on repeat. It keeps me grounded in my reality, but hopeful. I was sexually abused by my grandfather from when I was five until I was about twelve. When I told the adults I was supposed to trust the most, they did nothing. In fact, they went so far as to blame me for it. They chose to protect my grandfather and sweep it under the rug. In my twenties, I started sleeping around. I hurt myself and a lot of loved ones during that time. One night turned everything around for me, and shortly after that, I began to address what happened to me with my counselor. Today, it's been a year and a half since I started processing everything, and almost four years since my childhood first started to show its devastating effects. Through all of this, I've been blessed to have some friends, my counselor, my girlfriend, and even a couple of family members beside me. Part of me wishes I had known about this site years ago, but then again, I couldn't be so publicly open then. But I feel like it's time to speak now. I think it's time to embrace that I'm not alone, and time to break a cycle of shame-filled secrecy. Writing all of this, saying it out loud in a way I haven't before, is scary. The little girl in me is scared that "Mom wouldn't like it", or "You shouldn't tell the world about this". But it's going to be okay. This is the next step, and I'm surviving many steps already. Thanks!
Last edited by Jonesy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering detail
Orange Sycamore

Re: Hi From A New Member!

Post by Orange Sycamore »

Hi WordsLikeInnocence,

Welcome to isurvive.
Well done for making it this far.
You’re right about keeping taking another step. This is a safe place where I hope you will find the courage and support to take many more.

Wishing you well on your journey

OS
Orange Sycamore
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi WordsLikeInnocence

Glad to have you here with us, welcome :)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
HoneyMaus

Post by HoneyMaus »

HI WordsLikeInnocence
I am also new here :) welcome.
quixote

Post by quixote »

WordsLikeInnocence,
You sound very resiliant. Glad that you made it here.
quixote