New n confused

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Abh

New n confused

Post by Abh »

Hi I’m new. Never been to therapy or talked to anyone about growing up. Just wondering if I even need to talk about my childhood in order to find better healthy coping techniques or to have more intimate relationships. There seems to be a lot worse childhood scenarios on this group. Basically I just wonder... Does adult dysfunction always stem from childhood experiences
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: New n confused

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Abh

Welcome to isurvive. Interesting question about the origins of adult dysfunction, perhaps someone will have some thoughts on this...
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
iwillthrive

Post by iwillthrive »

Welcome to isurvive Abh. That is indeed an interesting question. I can only answer for myself. In my case, yes my dysfunction is related to my childhood. Hard to imagine that my past didn't affect my present. Behavior is learned, and our brains are developing and making connections all the time as children. The good news is that we can retrain our brains in adulthood. With work and time and practice we can learn to do things differently.

I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. iwillthrive
Ashia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ashia »

Hi Abh

Welcome to isurvive and kudos on asking your question. From my understanding, there is always a reason for the way people behave. I can't speak to the reasons for your struggles but do you think maybe you're wondering if something from your childhood is the root cause of the struggles you experience in adulthood? Something led you here... I know it's very easy to compare your own situation to others but in my experience, that only ever made me feel worse. No one individual's pain and struggles are considered worse than anyone else's here.

With caring
Ashia
Abh

Post by Abh »

Well..thanks all these responses are very helpful. I appreciate the insight😊
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering details included