How to create feeling good feelings

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

rosa123

How to create feeling good feelings

Post by rosa123 »

As abuse survivors, and sometimes we are still under different forms of abuse, we tend to experience a limited quantity of feel good feelings, and have few of those in our bank account to draw from as good memories.
I thought of opening this thread to exchange ideas that work for each one of us.

Here are a few ways to cultivate good feelings in a safe manner
1. regular physical exercise (it increases serotonin and other feel good neurontransmitters and hormones)
2. intense concentration in something pleasurable such as a hobby (painting, music, gardening) or entertainment such as a movie, reading a novel, as long as it temporarily absorbs you
3. feel good food. in the long term green leafs and veggies (increases endorphins and make you in general more healthy, less poisoned). in the short term some sweet or carbohidrate.
4. affection or love. a deep, good human connection helps you feel safe, loved, valuable (releases feel good neurotransmitters)
5. safe, kind physical contact
6. a walk in nature, petting a pet
7. engaging in an activity that brings the feeling of success and achievement
8. some form of meditation (particularly loving-kindness or Heartmath where you bring and sustain the feeling of tenderness, caring, love)
9. appreciation which can be a verb and a feeling / you act caring for something you appreciate
rosa123

Re: How to create feeling good feelings

Post by rosa123 »

Continuing with the topic, I notice that the good feeling I achieve is short lived. While I have a tendency towards sadness (no much effort to get there), my happiness, when I achieve it last a few hours and then it is gone.
I guess I may need to get a ration of happiness three times the day! (now I need a long list)