Tech Questions and Information

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

HealingHearts

Re: computer n posting problems? [ we're new ]

Post by HealingHearts »

Sorry ...
no it is not happin to me.
Don't know where it went.
Is OK.
Maybe is the back button or something.
Together we are stronger...
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Dear all,

Yup sometimes the error message comes on for just a second. It can happen when Jonesy or tommy are working on things. Sorry you get worried. Trust me there is no conspiracy I know of but then that is just lil ol' Harmony.

Hope things go smoothly from here,

Harmony
tommy

Post by tommy »

mercurial rivers,

I think the SQL error you posted above relates to a communication error that occurred when the system was accessing the forum database. It was not an issue with your browser. I am sorry that you encountered that problem. In the future, feel free to contact help@isurvive.org.uk if you continue to experience the problem. As Harmony said, it is often when the site is being worked on and there was some tech work done Saturday.

Other members have reported a similar issue that has resulted in the occasional loss of a post. It appears to happen when their web browsers refresh (intermittently) and in doing so they lose their connection to the site database. If this is in the process of submitting a post, users have found they may lose their post.

Some helpful options to consider:

• Users with our type of board have found that using the "auto log-in setting" has eliminated the lost post issue for them (if it was occurring when the system was logging them out after taking a lengthy time to compose their posts).

• Sometimes hitting the back button on the browser allows a post to be recovered after a browser has refreshed.

• In addition, some users have found it helpful to to use the command-copy function prior to pressing submit or preview, of lengthy posts as a safe guard, giving them the ability to paste the content of their posts if an error or temporary loss of connection occurs.

I hope this information is helpful.
mercurial rivers

Re: Technical Questions in regards to using isurvive

Post by mercurial rivers »

this continues to happen

i cannot be here w/this, esp at this frequency...at least once daily....just got home, 1st effort, n this again........

" Return to index page General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

No such file or directory [2002]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group "
Last edited by mercurial rivers on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Chanaged MT to NT
tommy

Post by tommy »

mercurial rivers,

I have emailed you to request more information as there is no site maintenance occurring at this time and everything appears to be functioning properly.

I apologize for the frustration you are experiencing and I hope that I will be able to assist you in troubleshooting this issue.
tommy

Post by tommy »

Update regarding the SQL Errors and Losing Posts

The technical issue of receiving the SQL error has been explained to us better by our site technician, Vince. It seems that increased traffic to isurvive's shared server has been the cause of this error and losing connection to isurvive. As a result, users of any of the server's hosted sites, including isurvive, can occasionally lose contact with the database and when reconnected they are directed back to the last cached (saved) page, usually the index page, causing in some instances, the loss of a written post.

Therefore, the initial suggestions posted on this thread of copying and pasting any lengthy post into your clipboard (command-copy) before submitting is our best suggestion. Some members even choose to compose a lengthy post in a word processing or text program and then paste it here on site to post.

Unfortunately, because of isurvive's limited funds as a non-profit charity, we are unable to pay a monthly fee to use a different, less shared-server in order to remedy this "glitch".

Feel free to email if you have further questions on this specific issue. (help@isurvive.org.uk)
isurvive

Post by isurvive »

Regarding the SQL error shown on the afternoon of the 21st July.

There was a corruption to one of the admin database tables. For safety the forum will shut down in these situations to save any further problems.

When I had diagnosed the problem I recreated the table from a backup and the forum switched back on.

This should not happen again and I am waiting to hear back from the server people to see why it did.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
tommy

Post by tommy »

The team here is very thankful to you, Vince. We appreciate your update and all the work you do here on the boards.

isurvive will continue to look at viable solutions, even with our limited resources, to the issues that arise from using a shared and heavily trafficked server. We thank each you for your understanding and patience.
tabby

Post by tabby »

chat addon client is venerable to security issues, possibly outdated?
I updated java and it says it is is unsafe.
Not sure if I should allow.
tabby ... Just keep your head above... Swim
tommy

Post by tommy »

tabby,

Thank you for noting this here. I have submitted a report to our chat hosts as I also received the new error with the upgrade. Previously we had a similar issue and they resolved it and it was replaced with a simple warning box advising you of the location you were attempting to visit via the applet (addonchat-- our chat host) which you could click and if your cookies were enabled, would be remember not requiring you to check again.

I am sure they will make any necessary modifications to comply with java or we will secure other chat services.

Thank you again for your note.