Hallmark Holidays

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

dreamykitten

Hallmark Holidays

Post by dreamykitten »

I know that some of us have problems with Mothers Day and Fathers Day, but they are a big part of our culture and something that I guess we just have to deal with.

But do we really need Daughters Day, Sons Day, Grandparents Day, etc.?

Do I really need to read loads of posts on my Facebook Wall from people talking about how it's Daughters Day and how wonderful their daughters are, when I never got that kind of praise and support from my own parents? (It seems that today is Sons Day.)

It seems that greeting card companies are constantly thinking of ways to remind us that we didn't have normal, healthy childhoods.
mary jane

Re: Hallmark Holidays

Post by mary jane »

dreamykitten wrote: It seems that greeting card companies are constantly thinking vremind us that we didn't have normal, healthy childhoods.
In fact they're just thinking of ways to make some more money.

I don't even think we have to deal with mother's/ father's day at all!! I ignore it. we do not have to congratulate them for something they are not/ something they have not done! we just have to accept that it's something out there and read about it facebook walls. it might make us very sad but we don't have to chime in.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Really!? I agree with MJ, it just sounds like another way to make more money. Fingers crossed they dont go ahead with this as I already find mothers/fathers day enough to deal with.

Icarus
We're tin hard, but we rattle when we're shaken.....

(Member since 31st May 2008. 503 previous posts)
dreamykitten

Post by dreamykitten »

I know it is just a way to make money. I didn't mean they were intentionally trying to make people feel bad. It's just insensitive.

I know we don't have to chime in, but it's still hard to ignore FB posts when one person posts something as a status message and then 15 people copy the same thing.
Silent

Post by Silent »

Hi Dreamykitten,
Agree with all you and others said. lets hope it does not stick.
Starshaped

Post by Starshaped »

ugh wish we could get cards for fathers/mothers day that say how we really feel....

"thanks for the repetetive messages of worthlessness and self hatred, you have made my adulthood far more introspective than it needed to be. I hope you have a crap day and spend it wishing you had done a better job."

I would love to send that to my dad.

star x
"The most potent muse of all is our own inner child." -Stephen Nachmanovitch
(member since July 2009- 1060 previous posts)
icey1

Post by icey1 »

Starshaped.
Now this is a card that I would have sent to my mother. but of course she would have thought of it as a joke.
"thanks for the repetetive messages of worthlessness and self hatred, you have made my adulthood far more introspective than it needed to be. I hope you have a crap day and spend it wishing you had done a better job."
“ the thaw began,
the ice melted
and the world opened up again. ”