PTSD treatment and relapses

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

eva45

PTSD treatment and relapses

Post by eva45 »

Hello everyone! I have a question and I'm wondering if anyone can give their input on it?

I know that chronic PTSD could be a years-long struggle. What about "simple" PTSD?

Is there always a possibility of a lapse/relapse in symptoms even after treatment and getting memories/symptoms under control?

Thank you for your thoughts!
The good in her will be my sunflower field.
Lydia

Re: PTSD treatment and relapses

Post by Lydia »

eva45,

I have "plain-old" PTSD, and was able to heal to the point that I am no longer on daily med's, and have Xanax only for back up. My T has PTSD as well. She said that we are always "sensitive" to it, that we can feel the symptoms come back, but that in the future, I also have the ability to cope with it better now.

I can get triggered, have emotional responses, and even occasional flashbacks, but it is very manageable now.

Hope that helps.

Lydia
Vulnerability is the most accurate measure of courage.-Brene Brown
amalivo6

Post by amalivo6 »

i don't know , but i think if treatment been rush through or not been done properly for what ever resson it will not stop and even if you manage to stop it for year a trigger will bring it back

((( eva45 ))) hope ok
Last edited by Jonesy on Thu May 31, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
porcini

Post by porcini »

Hi Eva,

Yes, I think that it can resurface, especially if a new trigger/situation comes up. I know that I first started understanding when my daughter turned the age that I was at the abuse. It was awful for the next little bit, then all was under control as Lydia says in her post. While I have never gone back to that dark, dark place and STAYED there, I have been surprised when it sneaks up on me on occasion. I think that all of us are different and that we develop coping mechanisms and strengths differently. I hope that this helps...
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the rooftops of the world!- Walt Whitman
(member since 12.06.06. Total posts 2, 514)
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Hi eva45,

Thinking of you this day. May life be on the up at present.

Wishing you very well for your birthday today and hoping you enjoy a bright future.

With care,
Xanthia
invictus

Post by invictus »

Hi eva45,

I'm in the middle of a relapse now, I had a few good years with very few symptoms before things abruptly got worse. I'm not sure if I have regular or complex PTSD. I did have long-term chronic trauma, and I had very intensive treatment before my "remission". My psychiatrist says relapses just happen sometimes. I guess that probably isn't super encouraging to hear.
___

"the next stanza of anything is the decision to stay alive." - Pier Giorgio Di Cicco
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

Hi eva45,
I don't have any answers, but would like to share my experience if okay.

Somewhat similarly to porcini, my ptsd became prominent when my daughter was born. My father abused me and I think having my own child who I love very much and would never hurt somehow triggered my ptsd.

I used to read mysteries, used to watch Law and Order on tv, but now I just can't. Even a headline about child abuse on a news site is very upsetting to me. I'm wondering if this will ever go away. I mean, child abuse should be upsetting, but right now, any mention of it in the media, is really, really, upsetting to the point that I have to avoid it completely. It brings back feelings of helplessness and of being trapped, and shame. I'm wondering if this reaction will ever go away. I wish life came with trigger warnings.

I want to note that I was only diagnosed with ptsd this fall, so I can't really speak to recurrence.

Wishing you serenity on your healing journey,

chickadee
"These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb." - Najwa Zebian

chickadee