Moving to a new host - possible downtime

An area for important announcements and reminders regarding isurvive.
This section will keep you updated with what's going on within our organization.

Moderator: Jonesy

1000miles

Re: Moving to a new host - possible downtime

Post by 1000miles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks Russ,

Appreciate all your hard work on this.

1000miles

Xanthia

Post by Xanthia » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:40 am

Hi Russ,

Really appreciate all your hard work, updates, information - and using a sick day for helping iSurvive goes well beyond helpfulness.

I've cleared history, cookies. Yet still get 404 message when I try logging in from Chrome or Google. I can access when I have a notification email at gmail.com

This is fine, but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong to get to site without having to open gmail? Thank you for your patience with people who are far from IT savvy.

Welcome to our beautifully friendly, secure part of the Web.
Xanthia

recover

Post by recover » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi Russ,
thank you for all of your support and work.
I've also cleared cookies, did the cache thing, followed the suggestions. I still cannot always log on it is very inconsistent and when it does work it is extremely slow. Is there anything else I can try?
many thanks,
recover

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Xanthia and recover!

Thank you for your kind words and reports. Many apologies for the extreme slowness of the site. I tried some things this weekend to speed things up, but with minimal results (caching where we can, etc). It's going to come down to our new host addressing the issue at this point. I'm not above calling them and sobbing on the phone...no one wants to deal with a grown man crying, so that tactic may work. Essentially, they've put us on a webserver/database server that appear to be pretty overloaded...We may either need to upgrade our hosting to a dedicated plan or look for something better. Jonesy and I are working it out. Again, very sorry for the slow loads..but it should be a temporary issue. Please bear with us.

Xanthia, I think your issue may be that the old host used https:// and the new one (so far) uses http://. If you're trying to get to the site through Google or an old shortcut, it's probably trying to route you to https:// (the old version), which would result in a 404 error. Google hasn't yet realized we've made a change. For now you will need to update your shortcuts to use http. Eventually we will go back to https://, but it's an issue I didn't want to address until we get the load-time stuff sorted, since it could complicate troubleshooting.

recover, I think we're all suffering from the issue of the site loading very, very slowly :(. This can manifest itself in various ways...slow load times, the site showing up as text only with no styling, an occasional error 404 or 500, etc. I haven't had any issues logging in since that initial migration issue with the cookies. What happens when you cannot log in? Do you get an error message? What is the behavior?

Again, thank you all for your patience. We will get the site up and running to its previous glorious load times. Hang in there...

recover

Post by recover » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:17 am

Hi Russ,
THANK YOU. I now seem to be able to log on fairly consistently and the problem seems to be the very slow times. Thanks to you and Jonesy for the update and for working on this, it means the world.
with gratitude,
recover

there

Post by there » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 am

hi,russ,
thanks for your work.
I don't know about others, but I could not log back in until Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 5.
After that, the log in keeps timing out on my tablet.
I'm at the library where computers are slow anyways. Everything seems accessible on isurvive from here.
"Don't live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable." Wendy Wasserstein

recover

Post by recover » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Russ,
The past few days I have only been able to log in intermittently. When I do get on it continues to be extremely slow, but most often I can't log in.
Thanks for your help.
Recover

Banana

Post by Banana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi recover

The site is slow for all of us, not only you. Do you know what speed Internet connection you have? There was an issue for a couple of days this week with my connection and in combination with how slowly the site is loading at the moment, it can make it impossible to actually log in. I'm just throwing it out there, as you may have a slow(ish) Internet connection.

Hope you're ok.
Banana xx
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia

Xanthia

Post by Xanthia » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi Russ,

Merely reporting -

Often need to log in twice, occasionally 3 or 4 times.

List of blue writing on white background. Appears sometimes when I start visit to site, but also after the second, 3rd, etc attempt to log in.

When clicking on notifications, the message "file not found" is annoying, as the thread/file does exist.

Being sent to log in page or index when I click reply.

These might be glitches pertaining to my end of the connection, as I'm using an android phone.

It is getting frustrating, given the length of time each screen finally loads.

Thank you for your assistance,
Xanthia

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for your continued patience with the site since we moved hosts. I know that performance has been terribly slow for everyone...you are not alone...many apologies (although if you want to blame anyone, feel free to send glitter filled envelopes to GoDaddy's Shared Hosting).

Jonesy and I worked hard this past week trying to troubleshoot and working with support at our new host. The bottom line is that this host and shared hosting environment we switched over to is not going to be acceptable for us moving forward. We have procured a more appropriate solution, very highly rated across the board.

We are currently waiting for our isurvive.org domain name to complete transfer from the original host so that we have complete control over it and can tell it where to point. Once that happens (hopefully in the next few days), we will be able to cut over to the "new new" host and hopefully leave this saga of slowness behind us. Also SSL / https comes standard with this new new hosting service..I know some folks were concerned about that.

I will let everyone know when the next migration is approaching. We are hoping it will be early this coming week. Although the first move wasn't terrible (except the slowness), this one should go much more smoothly since I already had a "practice" and know where the gotchas are.

In the meantime, please hang in there. This is a temporary issue...it will be resolved.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again,
Russ