Moving to a new host - possible downtime

An area for important announcements and reminders regarding isurvive.
This section will keep you updated with what's going on within our organization.

Moderator: Jonesy

there

Re: Moving to a new host - possible downtime

Post by there » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Russ,
Thanks to you and Jonesy for all your hard work!
You said next transition should go more smoothly. What do you foresee in terms of downtime? Any idea if or for how long site may be inaccessible?
Thanks again, Russ. :)
"Don't live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable." Wendy Wasserstein

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 am

Hi all,

We were able to get our domain name isurvive.org fully away from our old host today. That's great news as we were thinking it might take a few more days. It is now totally under our control, which means we can migrate our hosting as necessary.

I am planning on starting (and hopefully finishing) the migration tomorrow evening (Monday evening, Eastern Standard Time). I will post an update when I'm getting ramped up. This should alleviate all of the horrible slowness we've all been having, which will also hopefully eliminate any issues we've been having with bad logins, css style sheets not loading, etc.

there, in response to your question about downtime... I don't anticipate any downtime as a result of the move in terms of issues with cookies and logins, or the site being completely down. I think I have a handle on all the weird quirks and gotchas we hit on the first time around. That said:

There may be up to 24 hours of "downtime" depending on where you live. That's beyond our control, unfortunately. It takes a little while for the DNS servers around the world to update to know that we are now pointing to the new host...and they don't all update simultaneously.

Here's what I mean by "downtime":

Right before I transfer data from the old host to the new host, I will set the board to read-only mode, locking it down from new posts. This will help make it so folks aren't unknowingly posting to the old board during the migration. We got lucky last time in that there weren't a ton of posts during that timing, but I don't want to tempt fate. Things can get really really screwed up if people are posting to the old board and the new board, then I try to bring updated data from the old board. That's not something we want. Also, this way..if you're able to get to the board, log-in, and post, you'll know you've made it to the other side ;).

Again, I thank everyone for their patience. If I do end up running into unforeseen issues, I will continue to let you know about it ASAP. One more hurdle and we should be good to go :).

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again,
Russ

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 am

Hi Russ - thanks again, and especially for providing those awesomely understandable explanations for those of us less familiar with the tech jargon ( ;) )

Hi everyone

I am so sorry about all of this. I have no idea why some things in life have to be so blinking hard.
There have been times I have come to the site and become so frustrated I have just logged out again, so hats off to those of you who have persevered. It's a strange old world and this has been a testing time for Russ and I, believe me. However I do believe we are now limping towards the finish line.
You are important
Email: jonesy@hush.com

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 am

Hi all,

I will be starting the migration to the new host around 11pm EST. While the transition is happening, the board will show a maintenance message.

The board will return (from the new location) once your local domain name server is updated, which will could take up to 24 hours depending on where you live. I will post a welcome message under this thread on the new server so you will know if you've made it to the other side.

Assuming all goes well, we should no longer have the types of speed issues we've been encountering and we should be more secure (using SSL/https).

Thank you for bearing with us through this transition. I know it has been trying.

Russ

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 am

Hi all!

If you're reading this, you've made it to the new host. I think things are running okay, but if anyone starts having any problems, please let me or Jonesy know.

There are a few things that will need to be fixed on the WordPress side of the site (namely, resources list...since it uses a plugin that is no longer available), but other than that, things seem to be okay as far as I can tell.

I will do some further testing...then probably a couple hours sleep ;).

SSL/https:// will probably have to wait until this weekend, but it's on my list of to-dos.

Thanks again for all your patience! Here's hoping this move went as smoothly as it appears ;).

Russ

Xanthia

Post by Xanthia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:44 am

Thank you very much Russ. Sweet dreams, smile.
Xanthia

1000miles

Post by 1000miles » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks Russ! The site is responsive again!

there

Post by there » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks, Russ,
Am in EST zone. Site is working so well!
"Don't live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable." Wendy Wasserstein

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am

Russ - the site is so zippy! It's on speed dial now 8-)
... take that SlowDaddy...
You are important
Email: jonesy@hush.com

Banana

Post by Banana » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Russ & Jonesy

You've officially made my week, if not longer! Thank you so much. The site is much quicker to load, and posting won't time out and get lost now. Russ, I really hope you can catch up on some sleep! Jonesy, I know you didn't do any of the technical stuff but you still did a lot to get this sorted. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're both awesome. :D

With much caring,
Banana
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia