Moving to a new host - possible downtime

An area for important announcements and reminders regarding isurvive.
This section will keep you updated with what's going on within our organization.

Moderator: Jonesy

Jonesy
Director
Director

Moving to a new host - possible downtime

Post by Jonesy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi everyone

Apologies for the short notice but I need to let you know that there may be some disruption to the site over the next 24-36 hours. There may be some limited downtime due to the fact we are moving to a new host and all our content from the website needs to be transferred in a secure manner. So, if you are unable to access the forums please be patient and keep trying.

Unfortunately, I can’t be more precise as it is dependent upon our new tech guy, Russ, and his capacity to fit it around his day job. He will be on hand to monitor the switch and take care of any potential issues as soon as possible.
If you notice something that’s not quite as it should be then please leave a post here to let us know.

Buckle up and see you on the other side…
You are important
Email: jonesy@hush.com

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving to a new host - possible downtime

Post by theruss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi all!

I'm happy to be on board to help with this migration and for future technical needs!

A little about me...I am a full-time software engineer, located in Harrisburg, PA USA. I've been working in the education sector for the last 10 years or so on district and state-wide student management, curriculum management, registration, and assessment analytics projects. I also work with several local businesses and non-profits, mostly animal welfare / Trap-Neuter-Return related.

I sincerely hope to make this migration go as smoothly as possible. Best case scenario, you'll never know anything changed. Worst case scenario, we'll have a few kerfuffles to work out in the next day or two. I apologize in advance for any disruption this may cause...but rest easy knowing that this change is necessary and will leave the organization more empowered and stable for the future.

I'm hoping to get started this evening EST. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns in the meantime.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Russ

Harmony

Post by Harmony » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Thank you Russ,

We really appreciate your help with our safe community on the web. This site has been a life line for many wonderful people who have been cruelly affected by child abuse. We strive to keep this board a healthy and comfortable place for our members.

welcome,
Harmony

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 pm

My pleasure, Harmony. Thank you for the warm welcome.

I do have a full-time day job, so I am fairly selective in choosing what "extra curricular" assignments I take on. The purpose and mission of your site definitely factored into my decision to accept these responsibilities.

I will do my best to honor the security, safety, and supportive nature of this community while helping out with all the nerd stuff.

I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress as we migrate the site to the new host.

Thanks again for your patience.

Russ

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi all,

Quick IT update on the migration of the site to a new host.

All current forum data was transferred to the new host last night. Directly after the switch-over, I will go back to snag any data that happened between then and the switch-over so that we don't lose anything.

The switch-over itself is being planned for this evening (Tuesday, August 29), around 8pm Eastern Standard Time. It will take up to 48 hours for the DNS servers around the world to update to our new host (I've found it usually takes less than 24). During that time, there may be a brief outage, or some weirdness, but I will be monitoring and fixing any issues as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your patience. I will continue to send updates in this thread of my progress and any known issues that we may run into.

Russ

Serenity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Serenity » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks so much for helping us with all the "nerd" stuff, Russ. Glad to have you on board. :)

Serenity

Harmony

Post by Harmony » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Seamless!

Thanks,
Harmony

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 am

I wish...still hasn't happened yet ;)...but hopefully it will be equally seamless when it does happen.

We're still working out some last minute details with the new host. Switch-over should start tonight or tomorrow morning (Eastern Standard Time).

Cross your fingers! Either way, we'll get things working A-OK as quickly as possible.

I'll do another post when I initiate the actual switch.

Thanks

Russ

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi all,

The switch went through very early this morning (EST). There have been a few issues with the migration, but we're getting close.

The website should be fully operational at this point. I'm still working out a few kinks with the board. I'm hoping to have those remedied shortly.

There is a known issue going on with logging in and out. You may see 404 Page Not Found errors. I believe this is an issue with the configuration trying to use http instead of https (more secure). I'm looking into that right now.

If you're able to see this and notice any issues other than the one described above, please let me know.

Thank you again for your patience!

Russ

theruss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by theruss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi again, all!

I believe I got the 404 issues mentioned above worked out.

The only thing I'm noticing now is that the load time appears to be extremely slow. There are a few potential causes and it may require that we touch base with customer service at our new hosting environment.

I apologize for the inconvenience while we work out the speed issue. As far as I can tell, everything else should be working. That said, you probably know the nooks and crannies of the site and forum better than I do. If anything that worked before no longer works, please contact me or Jonesy to let us know.

I will keep everybody up to date on the status of the performance of the new host.

Thank you again for your continued patience!

Russ