Server Upgrade (Please Reply)

An area for important announcements and reminders regarding isurvive.
This section will keep you updated with what's going on within our organization.

Moderator: Jonesy

Jonesy
Director
Director

Server Upgrade (Please Reply)

Post by Jonesy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 am

Hi everyone

As you know we have been working to find a solution to deal with the issues that have arisen from having isurvive on a shared and heavily trafficked server. Some of you have been experiencing disconnection from the site, losing posts, finding the site unavailable or receiving error messages.

The good news is that we are now in a position to transition to a different dedicated server that will be hosting less clients and therefore allow for better performance and increased security for our site.

The schedule for the transition will be as follows:

Date: Saturday 17th August (BST)
Time: 9am - midday
The site will be unavailable during this time.

Please remember that the chat room will not be affected by this, so it would be a good idea to ensure you have bookmarked the link in advance. (http://www.isurvive.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11)

Thank you in advance for your patience as we make this necessary change and if you have any questions, please feel free to email.

(If you have the ability or desire to make a small contribution toward the cost of this improvement, it would be greatly appreciated as this will be an ongoing fee to better our site and improve the performance for our entire membership.)
You are important
Email: jonesy@hush.com

tommy

Re: Server Upgrade

Post by tommy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 am

Update Regarding the Server Upgrade:

After initial testing this week with the new server, Vince has informed us that there may be a glitch for some users on Saturday that could cause a delay in regaining access to the site.

For most users, after the switch occurs they will simply be redirected to the new server and see the site online and running. Others however, may be delayed more than the anticipated 2 hours, continuing to see the site as "off-line" even though it is indeed on-line. The issue is that some users' internet providers may take longer than others to recognize the new server's location. You may want to think of it in terms of an address change when you move-- sometimes it takes longer than you expect for something to be delivered because the address change does not get processed by the carrier immediately.

So what will be occurring is that some internet providers will show the change quickly and others, because of their technology, can take as long as 8 hours to make the internal adjustment to the new server address/location (Our recent test to the new server showed Virgin Media took 8 hours).

More details:
The difference in time is because of a thing called a DNS Server (Domain Name System Server). You can think of it as the database, or list of all the website names used on the internet. Your internet provider decides which DNS Server to connect to and the better DNS server it's connected to the better performance and connections to sites you will experience-- and less glitches like this one you would have.

tommy

Post by tommy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:37 am

The server upgrade has been completed so hopefully you all will be regaining access as the day progresses. We appreciate your understanding as we made this move to help improve the performance and your access to the forums.

There will be a small delay in connecting to the Orange Board archives but we will re-activate the link to that area as soon as we have the issue resolved. Thank you for your patience.

We hope you will find marked improvement with the performance of the site and encounter fewer incidents of technical or connectivity issues (connection errors or lost posts). Please feel free to be in contact if you have any concerns or issues.

tommy

Post by tommy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

It would be helpful to have your feedback on the server's performance now that we have made the switch. Please take a moment to share your experience on the forums since Saturday, especially regarding:

1. Access to the site
2. Maintaining your connection
2. Any issues posting
3. Speed with pages loading

It will especially be helpful to hear from those who were previously having technical issues on the old server, but all feedback is appreciated and helpful. It is our hope that the membership will no longer experience SQL errors, lost posts or disconnects because of high traffic.

Thank you for taking the time to respond so we can continue to improve and provide the service and resource of isurvive.

sensitive warrior

Re: Server Upgrade (Please Reply)

Post by sensitive warrior » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm

I was wondering why errors kept occurring, I thought it was my computer. it seems ok so far, i'll keep my fingers crossed.

River

Post by River » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:22 am

Tommy,

Sometimes when I would try to get access on the site or load pages to read it would come up as an error or take forever. So far no problems and its quicker......

Spike

Beachlady

Post by Beachlady » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 am

So far so good, and fewer error messages :-)

Beachlady
Beachlady

"If a human can dare to be more than the condition into which she was born, then so can you”
Maya Angelou
"Think Higher and Feel Deeper; The opposite of love is indifference"
Elie Weisel

recover

Post by recover » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 am

hi jonesy,
so far it is excellent although its hard to judge because my old computer died a few days ago and wasn't working well for a while and the new computer is amazing. so everything is working much better.
recover

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

I am finding things ultra-speedy on my iPad. No error messages for me at all, which is awesome.
You are important
Email: jonesy@hush.com

turtle

Post by turtle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:18 pm

No problems. No error messages. Quick loads. No lost posts.

turtle
Something woke up in me that day and I realized I had to come out of my shell...and live to my full potential.